Can I (or should I) run SpywareGuard with my setup?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by terrytturtle, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terrytturtle

terrytturtle Registered Member

I read the rider thoughfully mentioned by Javacool re SpywareGuard being a work-in-progress and possible conflicts with other security software. Like many people I have now started running a raft of programs to fight viruses, trojans and scumware etc.

I have used Nortons Internet Security; Ad-aware and Spybot S&D for some time. After recently being hit by some nasties I now have added Trojan Hunter (with its TrojanHunter Guard); HijackThis and of course SPYWAREBLASTER (which I liked that much I subscribed for the auto-updates). I run Windows XP Pro on a fairly new, performance system.

I would like to install SpywareGuard. Two questions please which I ask because I am a newbie when it comes to the technical stuff:

1. Anyone know of any reason why I should NOT install SpywareGuard given my existing setup? (E.g potential conflicts or I don't need it because I run TrojanGuard; and

2. If it's ok or desirable to use SpywareGuard, are there any recommended options / preferences / configurations I should use for these programs to live harmoniously and work efficiently at what they do best?

Any comments would be appreciated.

2. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Mornin', and welcome to Wilders!

So far as I am aware, there should be no conflicts between SpywareGuard and any of the programs you mention. If you use IE then, by all means, install SpywareGuard and give it a shot.

3. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

I am running SpywareGuard 2.2 with TrojanHunter V3.9, Spy Sweeper V3.0,
    AdAware6 Plus V6.181, NIS 2004, SpywareBlaster 3.2, Process Guard 2.0, HiJackThis V1.98.1, TDS-3, Port Explorer V1.8, and others.

My OS is Windows XP-SP2-RC2 Build 2162, Home Edition.

There are no conflicts with SpywareGuard 2.2 that I am aware of and it should work fine with your configuration.

4. terrytturtle

Dangitall: Thank you for the reply. Yes, I do use Internet Explorer. Given your comments and those of siliconmam01 I'll install SpywareGuard.

5. terrytturtle

Siliconman01. Thank you also for your comments. You sure run a heap of stuff. If you don't mind I may get back to you about TDS-3 to supplement TH. I like multi-layered protection but I'm advised TDS-3 is more for the computer-savvy (and I'm not) plus at 60 years-old I'm starting to 'resent' the time needed to install-configure-operate-update the various programs I've already got. I want to enjoy life, not be bound to the pc desk learning and running security programs because of scumware and viruses sent by idiotic wastes-of-space. Think/hope you know what I mean :).

6. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Let us know if you have any problems, but I wouldn't be expecting any. Note: the latest set of updates for SG is 22Jan04. Given the way that SG works, frequent updates are unnecessary, so don't be concerned after you run the update.

7. terrytturtle

Thanks Dangitall. From reading other posts I understand that SpywareGuard does not need frequent updates. If I do run into any problems, you guys will be the first I look to for help :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.