Can I interest you in some vindictive software?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by HandsOff, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Combine my penchant for saving image files with XP's ineptitude for previewing most image formats and their faulty thumbnail handling and you get a computer with who knows how many pictures or where they are.

So, I have been slowing turning over the idea of a third party program to manage image files in my mind. I went to snapfiles, straight to the freeware, and found a program that sounds really good. Firehand Ember - Free Version.

Ok, I finally build of the steam to install it, when a little voice says, maybe you should do a quick search to check the company's integrety' So I do. What should come up but a Wilder's thread where the topic is the fact that Firehand was believed to have imbedded 2 malicious routines in their program designed to intentionally destroy all the files of a user that entered a certain serial number (that apparently they believed was proof that the user was trying to steal the program for free).

This was two or three years ago, I was thinking, who knows, maybe I should go straight to the Firehand site and see if I can pick up any negative vibes (one of the best methods to secure your computer is the little known Negative Vibes Detection Pro Version 6).

The second thing I discover at the Firehand site is when I click on "Products", and there is no mention at all of a free version.

But the first thing I see was a truly questionable company logo, for a company that you would think would like to overcome the reputation of a company that includes a ticking time bomb in their products!

-HandsOff

Attached Files:

2. dog

dog Guest

Yes, it's very interesting HandsOff ;)

Here is the Information regarding Firehand - to which you were referring - I believe - as a little background info for Folks Photo with Trojan! - Sept 10, 2002

3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hey Dog!, I will check that link, maybe I can get a handle on what I am dealing with.

I wish I had paid more attention in psychology class, but at the time I could not believe any of the phenomena could possibly exist "in the wild". Concepts like "Freudian slip", if you catch my drift.

BTW - Do you remember a movie that came out years ago, Robocop? Do you remember the car alarm? I am guessing that that scene may have been responsible for some of the "acting out" we have seen lately...

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.