can i install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on an external usb3 hard disk?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mantra, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

2. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

They allow you to install linux on a USB, so I'm thinking perhaps... you could treat the ext HDD like a USB and use the same method? Just an idea.. Sorry don't have any links on this as I really have to leave the pc now! cya

3. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

I haven't done this on 14.04 specifically, but certainly works on previous Ubuntu distros. I've done so both to USB3 hdd and USB3 sdhc cards. You can boot from the iso/dvd and then click the install icon on the desktop where you select the disk, partitions etc as normal.

The boot device selection should be done on start-up from your bios (e.g. hit F12 on some Bioses will give you the boot device choices).

Now for an important caveat while you do the install - not afterwards. I remove the main hard drive from my laptop while doing the build. Either in the case of finger trouble, or because it will install your boot loader on the main HDD rather then the USB3 hdd (which you may well not want because it can do things like alter the windows MBR), this ensures that your main system is not altered when you install. You can reconnect once the install is done.

PS - you'll need to think about partitioning and file system types if you want to use this device as a data drive as well for Windows PCs. Clearly NTFS will suit them better but is not a good choice for the Linux system partitions.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.