Can I install a SSD and use it to store backup images?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ratchet, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

My C drive is a SSD too. Can I just put another in one of my case bays and attach it to one of the SATA III ports on my motherboard and just utilize it like an external drive or do I have to enable RAID? Thank you!

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Yes, you can do that. You shouldn't have to enable RAID. If you're using it for storage yuo might want to consider using a mechanical drive, as it'll be much larger and cheaper, and for file storage that may be more important.

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Thank you for the quick reply! I already have the drive (Kinston 60GB) and have been using it in an external USB 3 to SATA enclosure. This method will be easier. Will trim be functional with this setup? Naturally it wasn't in the enclosure.

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Yes you can, but why?

SSD storage is about (if not the) most expensive type of storage you can buy. One reason it is so expensive is it is so fast. And for that reason, SSD is better suited for something that can use that speed - like operating system files, the page file, temp files or even your applications.

Using a SSD to store backup images is not a very efficient use of the SSD.

That said, if the SSD would otherwise sit on a shelf and not be used, then go for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.