can i have a different default notepad?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Nov 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hello, is it possible to change notepad and have either EditPad or Note Tab as my default notepad? so when i double-click on a .txt file either EditPad or Note Tab will open. thanks.

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

You really just need to change the associated application listed in the registered file types.

An easy way to do this is to bring up Windows Explorer. Select Tools>Folder Options>File Types. Page down to the TXT extension. Select/highlight that entry and click on the Change button. You'll be presented with an Open with dialog box. Depending on how things are setup on your system, you'll either already have the application listed under Recommended or Other Programs or need to browse to the location of the executable. Either way, select the desired application and press OK, then Close. That should do it

Blue

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for your help, BlueZannetti :)

4. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

6. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Another one I've been using since some time is MetaPad
    I like the shortcuts for inserting code.
    It's also free. :)

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thank you, Eldar. another one that looks very good. spoilt-for-choice :D . with all these great notepad replacements, i'd better start practising writting/editing :eek:)

8. mccarob

mccarob Registered Member

I really enjoy the text editor "TextPad". I use it all the type while programming in Java, its a nifty lil guy. Saddly its not free.

9. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Not to overwhelm you but here is a list of more than 35 editors all with screenshots on the same page.

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

more notepads, thanks for the links mccarob and Q Section :) .

not overwhelmed, i now have about 40 notepads :p

11. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Be nice to hear your recommendations, ice, if you can be bothered testing them. I'm using Metapad at the moment, it has an always-on-top option that's incredibly useful, but maybe you'll find something even better...

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i didnt really download 40 notepads, but i did check afew out. but, i only wanted to make a simple web page, so i dont think im qualified to give my opinion on which is best, as i wont have used them to their fullest. i can say that Metapad is as good as any other though. :)

13. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Damn, I was hoping we could call you the Prince of Notepads... Thanks anyway, I'll stick with Metapad :)

14. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hey ICE, I'm curious again (don't worry, I promise I won't snatch any programs :D ),
    have you had a chance to checkout Jarte? It boasts some :cool: goodies along with built in spellcheck.
    A bit larger than MetaPad, but from the description sounds far more versatile. Sorry about the link....
    you'll need a few more clicks for the download. :D

@Meltdown, that mention of "always on top" does sound nice (less than 50kb too!).

GF

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, GF. sorry, i havent tried it. :(

i should have worded my original question better, as i wasnt really looking for a notepad, but a way to assocciate text extensions to a notepad other than MS's (which BlueZannetti explained for me in post two, thanks BZ) .

however, because the way the thread has turned out, im curious wheather there's a replacement notepad class leader. can anyone comment on the ones below? thanks :)

CPad - screenshot - http://www.snapfiles.com/screenshots/cpad.htm +
    CPad - home and DL - http://www.zantii.net/content/view/68/2/

Crimson Editor - http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

Source Edit - http://www.brixoft.net/prodinfo.asp?id=1

WebDwarf - screenshot http://www.virtualmechanics.com/products/dwarf/images/dwarfv2sceen480.jpg
    WebDwarf - home http://www.virtualmechanics.com/products/dwarf/

superedi - http://www.wolosoft.com/en/superedi/

16. GlobalForce

Thats OK ICE. :D

Whether you know it or not, you've exposed an exorbitant amount of just how much freeware is available. I also know you've gained some practical experience and provided informative links.....I realize you got filled in by BlueZannetti but.....the mods are tolerant of slight thread shifts :cool:.

Personally ICE there will be NO one leader. It boils down to what you're trying to accomplish, how to cheat, and what you can't do without. I've seen CPad at Snapfiles, but in many articles I've noticed good comments, thoughts, and flexibility with CrimsonEditor, AbiWord, and Syn. Again, would be difficult to tell not handling their tasks (still too new to the web :D ).

I have read some of the operational limits of the above (bugs and such), but suppose if you have enough time there are workarounds. Those other ones you mention I've never even heard of.... :eek: :ninja:

You know where my heads at....... ;)

GF *puppy*

17. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, GF. unless one turns out to be best of all, i'll stick with what i have. :)

18. GlobalForce

As needs shift and experience grows, so too will the application of choice.... *puppy* :-*

GF ;)

19. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Found another Ice and it's really great for storing notes tree-like.

To say I was only looking for something to store my bookmarks. :D

20. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i've had notetab light on my desktop for a few days ready to install, now i'll probably go through all these suggestions again before i decide what to install :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.