Can I do this?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by checkmate110, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. checkmate110

checkmate110 Registered Member

Hi,
    I am currently running a dual boot win7Beta (expired) /winxp setup with each OS on a separate partition on the same hard drive. What I would like to do is image the XP partition and restore just it to another drive. I tried this w/Acronis 10 but while it transferred all the files, It would not boot. (ntldr missing message) I tried several suggestions with no success. Is this possible?

TIA,

Jeff

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, it is possible.

Which is the "System" partition?

The system partition contains the boot critical files.

You need to make XP the system partition.

Go to Folder Options and Show hidden files and folders and protected o/s files.

If the 3 files, ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini are not on the XP partition, copy them from the 7 partition onto the XP partition.

Then use Paragon to image the XP partition and restore it. Use Paragon to ensure the restored XP partition is marked as Active

If necessary, use Paragon boot corrector to correct boot.ini.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  3. checkmate110

checkmate110 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply SIW2.
    I will be trying your solution this evening.
    I'm using Paragon 10 Free Edition, is the boot corrector included with that?
    I can't seem to find find it. Alternately, do you think I could use the boot.ini from another XP computer?

Jeff

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.