Can I do this?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by mike21, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Hello,

I am using FD-ISR on a system with 150 GB space, which has been separated in 2 partitions, about 75 GB each (partition C:\ is system and D:\ is My Documents, My Pictures etc)

Now I want to buy more disk space, lets say an internal 500 GB HDD, so I do not need to have 2 separate partitions as above.

My question is: can I safely merge the 2 partitions into 1? What would happen to FD-ISR (valuable) snapshots?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Never merged, but I have resized partitions with no ill effect on FDISR so, what I would do is move everything off c: to d:, and then delete d: You could then resize c: and it would be fine.

Pete

3. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

thanks Pete

4. munckman

munckman Registered Member

mike21,

I would wait and ask for clarification from Peter. Something just doesn't quite sound right with "move everything off c: to d:, and then delete d: You could then resize c: and it would be fine."

I'm not sure but I would think that you should move everything off of D onto C then delete D. Then resize C.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

In the past, I had also 2 partitions (C and D) on my first HDD, because I used my second HDD as backup media.
    Later on, I bought an external HDD and decided to use my second HDD as data partition.
    I moved all my data (partition D) to my external HDD.
    Deleted partition D and resized C, formatted my second HDD and moved my data from my external HDD to my second HDD.
    I didn't have any partition software to do this, I think I used "Disk Management" of WinXPproSP2 to delete partition D and resize C.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  6. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

thanks for replying munckman, but as soon as I read Pete's reply I launched disk director and merged C & D and then deleted D

everything seems well so far

I believe in his reply Pete meant:

what I would do is move everything off d: to c:, and then delete d:

instead of

what I would do is move everything off c: to d:, and then delete d:

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Too early in the morning, Screwed up the alphabet:D munckman is absolutely right.

Move contents off D: to C:
    Remove D:
    Resize C:

I think this time I got it.

8. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

I forgot: I got FD-ISR about 9 months ago and I always keep a partition clean (no AV, no antispyware, firewalls etc). Just very basic apps.

Now do I need to re-install windows on C: occasionally like before installing FD-ISR or it won't have any effect? I mean normally a format every year is a must (especially if I test lots of software). Now when I boot to the clean snapshot is like I boot to a fresh windows installation?

9. ErikAlbert

If that snapshot contains a fresh windows installation, it's like booting to a fresh windows installation.

Keep in mind that FDISR is a RECOVERY software, NOT a security software. Recovery and security are not the same.
    If you go online with a clean snapshot without any security software, any malware can infect your clean snapshot.

10. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Hi ErikAlbert, I rarely boot to the initial snapshot just to update few programs installed but I copy the initial snapshot to an empty one, and then start installing security programs, which have never found anything.

I think that when I run an virus/spyware scan from any snapshot, all other snapshots are scanned as well. But if a virus infects one snapshot, can it infect and all others?

11. ErikAlbert

empty one ? I guess you mean new snapshot.
    FDISR has also a function "Empty Snapshot", which is not the same as a "New Snapshot".

In theory it is possible that a virus can infect more than one snapshot, I think that this happened already, but I have to search for this. Maybe other members remember this better than me.

Not all AV scanners scan all snapshots, you have to check this.

12. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

I mean new snapshot, sorry.

I just checked and kaspersky scans only the current snapshot, you are right. SuperAntiSpyware scans all snapshots and thought both did.

13. ErikAlbert

Mike,
    This thread is about an infection over more than one snapshot.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=207960
    Of course I couldn't verify this, I consider this as second hand information. I never had such a problem.
    I also give malware a very hard time to infect my system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.