Can I divide a file among multiple floppy disks?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ZeldaManiac44, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeldaManiac44

ZeldaManiac44 Registered Member

I have a 3.8MB file (EXE file, Executable App) that I need to save to a floppy, but one of those is 1.44 (or 1.38 in the Properties window).

So can I divide it among three? If so, how do I go about it?

2. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

You can use Winzip to archive and split among different archives.

WinRAR has that option as well.

HJSplit if you dont' want to mess with archives.

3. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

5. ZeldaManiac44

I tried HJSplit, in the "File to Split" field, I clicked there, and it asked to browse, so I did. Clicked on the file I needed split, clicked "start", and that button changed to say "working". Finally, I get a message telling me the file was split.

But where are the pieces?! They aren't on the Desktop where the file I want to split is located, so where are they?

6. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

They ("output" split files) should be in the same directory as the "input" file.
    May need to do an F5 (refresh) to see them.

7. ZeldaManiac44

The Directory the input file was in was my Desktop (guess I shouldn't have put it there, heh, heh) but the output files didn't appear, so I navigated to the Desktop using Windows Explorer, and voilà! There they were!

I want to say I really like HJSplit, and thank sosaiso for introducing it to me. Or should I say Doumo arigatou gozaimasu? LOL

I appreciate everyone else's help too, of course. It's just that the FF Splitter page seems to have been taken down, and after downloading Chainsaw, I got an error message saying it needed a DLL file that was missing.

8. herbalist

herbalist Guest

SFX Maker works good for splitting files. Before I had a CD burner in my 98 box, I used it for file backup jobs. It's pretty flexible and can make spanned sets of 50 or more floppies, if you have enough patience to sit there that long. I backed up the NIS 2002 installer to floppies with it. Much slower than a CD burner, thanks to the floppies themselves, but gets the job done. Good quality freeware.
    Rick

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.