Can I delete this ?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by timcan, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Hello,I have 6 snapshots on my computer which each one of them contain HP_Recovery (D). Can I or is it safe to delete this partition? I guess my thinking is that there is 6gb of data copied to each snapshot that isn't neededo_O?

Attached Files:

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I would be very careful here. The HP recovery partition is there to allow you to recover you system should something go wrong. My belief is that you will only have this one partition and that your snapshots will only contain data on C:
    If you delete this how will you restore your system should FD-ISR go bad ?

If you buy an imaging program then yes this partition may be surplus.

3. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Agree, fdisr only copies the system partition, it does not copy this 6GB partition, you only have one instance of that data.

4. timcan

timcan Registered Member

hello,thanks for the reply. I do have physical OS cd's to recover if bootback goes haywire.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I would contact HP first and ask them if you can get rid of this special recovery partition.
    Having a Windows Installation CD and driver CD's is always an advantage of course.
    I don't have a HP computer, so I don't have that problem, I can restore my system, even when my harddisk is completely wiped out with zeroes or erased by Peter Gutmann's crazy method (35 passes). LOL.

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Exactly.
    You have the six snapshots in the 'C' partition in I assume the 110G taken of the 180G partition.
    Unless you have some off line or some special snaps, that implies a primary snap of about 20G: what's on there ??.
    Maybe you could move some data to an external drive to decrease the size or ( I dont actually do this) anchor some data files.
    You could create a new partition for your data files to reduce he size of the snapshot.

Show us the FDISR console: that's where to see your snaps and sizes.

If you really want to get rid of that HD recovery partiton would/might need to wipe disc and reinstall OS and start again, or, maybe just wipe the partiton. You could always copy the partition to an external drive just in case.

I would check with HP: they will say no, but if you have all the drivers: should be no problem just time.

Lots of the proprietary machines come with a partiton ( sometimes hidden) with various tools for recovery: most can be wiped. Sometimes the full OEM Windows restore is in there.

If your snaps are of a full partition, then after wiping disc and reinstalling windows and FDISR could use FDISR from archives to recreate your set-up on the wiped disc.

Dont try this unless you're are 100% confident that wiping the HP recovery will not render the machine unbootable. In theory it should not.
    If it aint bothering you just leave it.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ult&cd=1&q=wipe hp recovery partition&spell=1

As ageneral rule: Make sure you have a good offline back-up of your data, maybe even an image of the 'C' partiton: but the way you have it now = BIG image.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There are also warranty issues to consider.

Pete

8. timcan

timcan Registered Member

hello,this is why I asked about this in the beginning. Adding up snapshot sizes and subtracting should leave me more than 77gb.
    Thanks for the replies and help.

Attached Files:

9. timcan

timcan Registered Member

hello, can you explain more?

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Simple. You run into a problem with your machine while it's under warranty. You call and they ask you to do something using a tool in the hidden partition. You say you deleted it. Then watch conversation go right downhill.

11. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@timcan

?update
    Where are you with this problem?

12. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Hi,no where really.I did out of curiosity delete snapshot 4 shown in my pic in post#8 and gained about 17gb.Maybe what bootback shows as size doesn't include everything installed in snapshot? The thing about it though, there isn,t that much 'extras' installed to equal 17gb total.
    I think I will try to get an external hd and archive snapshots and install as needed to play with softwares. tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.