Can I delete 2000 off Acronis log files ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by alan_b, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alan_b

alan_b Registered Member

Earlier this year I upgraded to Acronis True Image Home version 11.0.
    I have recently become aware that my MFT is fragmented due to automatic extension when too many files were added to the drive, and the big culprit seems to be 2000 off Acronis Log files.
    Further aggravations form 2000 junk files are :-
    wasting 8 MBytes of disc space;
    wasting several seconds on computer start-up as the directory of all partitions is cached;
    wasting a few more minutes when Adaware is scanning every file it can find.

Some of these files were created by version 11.0, and others by previously installed versions.

What can I purge, and what might be the consequences ?

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Logs
    This holds 602 off 159 byte test files. A new one every time I log on. Content is
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    <log uuid="0704D21C-FD43-409C-ACB5-832885AB9D8B" product="Acronis Test Program" version="0.0" build="0" >
    </log>

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Logs
    This holds 1098 off 271 byte error log files created at 6 second intervals on 5 different dates.
    The content is
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    <log uuid="2FD44515-7DE1-45DC-AD9A-656248CE386F" product="Acronis*True*Image*Home" version="1.0" build="169" >
    	<event id="1" level="2" module="53" code="26" time="1214925118" message="Archive computer .closed" />
    </log>

Should I fear bad consequences if I delete these files ?

Management Tools => Additional => View operation log on your computer :-
    This allows me to see what happened for the last 51 archive operations, and the dates of these logs correspond exactly to the last 51 files within :-
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Logs.
    (NB A few of these operation log files include up to 100 error events. I suspect I MAY have mounted an image to compare a previous good system state and detect junk to purge before creating a new image, and some Acronis Service continued monitoring the mounted image and caused a system conflict with Acronis trying to create/verify a new image)

I intend to delete all operation logs apart from the latest 51 files.
    If I am careless and delete log files for archive images that are still on the external drive I expect that those event logs will not be viewable. Is there any danger of consequential damages - e.g. errors in relating log files to corresponding images ?
    If a log file is lost, would that inconvenience or cripple a subsequent MOUNT or RESTORE of the corresponding image ?

There are a earlier 30 log files for earlier images. I might hang on to those until the corresponding images are removed.

There are another 180 files, even earlier, going back to 2006 and ready to be deleted.
    Please warn me - will anything bad happen if they are deleted ?

Regards
    Alan

2. Wandering2

Wandering2 Registered Member

you can delete the log files. They are only useful if something goes wrong, and you are not likely to need to go back more than one or two in any event.

Good luck.

3. alan_b

alan_b Registered Member

Thanks.

After (and probably because of) 30 years experience, I always expect Windows to surprise me, so I appreciate assurance before I do anything that could cause grief - especially if I might destroy the ability to restore a pre-grief image !!!

Thank you
    Alan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.