Can I Clone a Bootable C: Drive to a USB drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 5compsmike, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5compsmike

5compsmike Registered Member

I used the clone function in True Image 9 to clone my laptops C: drive to my external USB drive. The clone procedure seemed to work. The USB drive can be accessed with Windows Explorer, and it looks exactly like the original C: drive, including files and partition structure. However, it will not boot. I have a brand new current Dell 9400, which allows booting from USB devices, and the laptop does try to boot from the USB drive(I can tell by the flashing lights on the USB drive), but I get the blue screen of death crash. Am I doing something wrong or is this a current limitation. I have reviewed prior threads and see that many people have had trouble booting from USB keys, but I had not read that anyone tried the clone disc function.
    Also, if this is a current limitation of True Image, is there anything in the works to add this ability to the software to be able to clone a laptop to an external USB drive so that the USB drive is bootable?

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Whether or not you will be able to get Windows to boot from your USB device is not so much a function of True Image but rather of Windows itself. Can it be done? Absolutely yes!

As a start you may like to do a little research into solutions that have worked for others who have succeeded in doing exactly what you are attempting. Follow these links for some excellent discussion on the subject. In particular you will find the ngine link to be very helpful.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/usb-boot.mspx

http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

3. _Kento_

_Kento_ Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.