Can I be sure my OPEN VPN connection is AES 256 as advertised?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by MrGump, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

I recently purchased OPEN VPN service.

I understand that I place the config file in the config folder of the OPEN VPN software and then connect. I am able to connect and my location shows as having changed when I trace my IP. I do have some questions though and I thank you for taking the time to help me.

1.) How can I be sure I am actually using the AES 256 encryption that I am paying for?

2.)I have a config file for the connection that was provided to me by the company, should I post that info here?

3.) Does it look like I set the VPN up correctly?

thank you again *puppy*

p.s. I have attached 3 screen-grabs. Capture 1 & 2 show the setup I am using, capture 3 is an example of the provided stock configs my host supply's. I went with the last option, the "ultra paranoid" one. I hope this helps people when formulating a response to my query.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  2. Spiral123

Spiral123 Registered Member

When you say Open VPN, you do you mean OpenVPN http://openvpn.net/ or another one. I presume you could put a machine between you and the endpoint, and capture traffic, then parse it with protocol analyzer looking for the specific elements that would prove it was 256AES. Not what these specific elements would be though.

3. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

4. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

You purchased free software? Or do they offer some "extra" pay service?

5. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

I am paying for service and they told me to use the free software to use it

6. katio

katio Guest

What about that config file, it should say somewhere what cipher to use?

7. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

All I could understand from the config file is that it said AES 256 CBC. Because I am a total VPN newb I wanted to make sure *puppy*

8. katio

katio Guest

The config tells your client what cipher it should use. Since you initiate the connection the other end has to respond with the same cipher. Therefore you just verified that it must work as advertised.
    OpenVPN is absolutely trustworthy software, it's open source and reviewed. No way it would try to fool you ;)

So, no worries. However what no encryption in the world can guarantee you is that your provider is trustworthy....

9. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

Thank you very much for explaining that process to me, katio. Curious, would you be able to recommend a trustworthy foreign VPN provider or point me in the direction of a person/people's that make those calls? *puppy*

10. katio

katio Guest

Sorry, can't help you on that one. I don't use any anonymity providers myself and on principle don't trust anyone to provide me with anonymity after giving them my identity and then pay for it as well.

As I see it the only real anonymity on the internet is by going in over public wifi, of course disguised IRL as well (those pesky CCTVs...)
    For my personal usage I don't see a point in doing that so I simply don't bother.

VPNs have other uses as well, for example "circumventing censorship" and by that I mean pandora and such services. For those any will do as long as it's cheap and reasonably fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.