Can & How to run NOD32/Kaspersky AntiVirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gracie123, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Hi,

After reading reviews about NOD32/Kaspersky, I would like to purchase both possibly but want to know first if it's possible to have both running at the same time so if one antivirus does not find something, and the other one does.

Thanks,

Gracie

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Everybody here says running 2 AV is bad, bad, bad. They fight for the same resources (potential system crash), and do the same.

The difference in results can't be that different either. For an individual user that is. If you really want them both, use only one for resident. But i wouldn't go there. They're both paid! Get BitDefender 8 free version if you want.

IMO

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Kaspersky has a bit higher detection rates but both are good.

if you are truly concerned about detection, u can always use an AS or AT.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've never tried nod32 + kaspersky together but i can tell you it is possible to run multiple av apps together. I once had avg + antivir + f-prot running side by side with no problems at all. Its not necessary but possible.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

just pick the one you like better.
    or you could have one as real time and one as on demand.
    or better yet choose one for realtime
    and use dr web cureit from my sig as on demand check.
    lodore

6. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Do i need to deactive my realtime av guard before using dr web cureit?

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

nope no need since its only an on demand scanner that doesnt even need to install.
    it will do a scan to just check running processes then after that you put a tick net to all you hard drives then click scan.
    dr web cure it is my fav free on demand scanner.
    lodore

8. gracie123

Hello everyone,

Well, since I am not familiar with how "on demand/real time" for antivirus works... what would I need to enable or disable in both NOD32 and Kaspersky Anti-Virus? I am not sure which I am going to purchase yet but for the future, it would be nice to know :).

Gracie

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Gracie

Given your candid admission of not understanding, I would highly recommend installing one, testing and then the other and from that decided which one you like. You are just asking for problems by installing both.

Pete

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Gracie,

Echoing what has already been said, my personal recommendation would be to go with either based on your own personal preferences for look an feel. I own both, for an average user of the Internet they will provide effectively equivalent results. I would also recommend a simple default installation of either product and setup a regularly scheduled system scan (say, weekly during off use hours, less frequently if appropriate).

If nerves/worry/caution are strongly drawing you to implement some level of secondary coverage, I'd direct you towards a single additional option that is known to be compatible with either AV. There are plenty available, although I'd personally note that if KAV/KIS is the AV, the proactive defense module should not be installed (don't disable it - use a Custom installation to prevent installation of the module) if the second product also hooks the SSDT - this is just a general conservative caution. I've seen cases where this suggestion was not needed, I've also seen cases where it wasn't followed with unfortunate results (complete OS reinstall required).

Blue

11. gracie123

Pete & Blue,

I appreciate both of you replying... both of you offered some great suggestions. The only reason I was wondering about how to run both is because I hear their both great and thought it would be good to have the protection of both but after hearing that it would more than likely result into problems, I have decided that if I do decide to purchase either Kaspersky or NOD32 in the future to just buy one and only have one installed.

Thank you again for the info,

Gracie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.