Can Free AV+Free Firewall match Commercial AV?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Wan, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wan

Wan Guest

Can combination of free av +free firewall + free anti malware match commercial AVo_O?

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

It certainly can. If you use for instance Comodo firewall plus Defense + or PC Tools Firewall, or Outpost with for instance MSE or Avira free, you are very good protected.

3. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Of course.I dummped KAV 2010 and OA pro,for Avast!5 and CIS(fw and D+,AV disabled).IMO,it's a very strong protection without paying a dime.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  4. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

yes,
    for example
    Avira free
    Geswall free\defensewall from gizmo
    Online armor free

5. smage

smage Registered Member

I agree that you can achieve the same level of protection with a free combination but you will never achieve the same usability provided by suites like NIS and KIS.
    The average users want protection without interference.

6. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Correct. For more technically-inclined users transition to individual free products covering different areas can work, however for regular users the transition likely is not a workable solution.

I myself switched to KIS some years ago, after becoming tired of constantly tweaking various products so that they'd work together and properly protect me. Also, firewalls of that time were quite talkative, a fact that started to hugely annoy me in long term. I have to admit liking the approach used in KIS firewall :) it doesn't ask me stupid question all the time when using known good software.

7. moserw

moserw Registered Member

I'm sure everyone will say yes. Just make sure the free s/w used for protection is of the highest order like from Avast, Avira, AVG for the AVs though Panda Cloud AV too has come along great recently.

Firewall - Comodo, PC Tools, Online Armour

HIPS - ThreatFire

With these you are all set to go!

8. JoeBlack40

Whay are you trying to say?That KIS or NIS are offering more usability and control than two different security applications,an AV and a FW with(and) HIPS?I'd like to have more control over these security app,rather a full security suite out of the box,wich doesn't offer you a powerfull control.

9. Logos

Logos Registered Member

all these suites, even the best ones, have at least one weak component (CAV in CIS, just as an example). I'd rather stick to several providers and do custom installs. I found compatibility to be rarely a problem, as long as you don't run duplicate components.

10. JoeBlack40

Exactly,that's my point of view,too.

11. smage

smage Registered Member

Hi JoeBlack40,

By usability, I was referring to the ease of use of the products. While I do understand that people in this forum like to have full control over what is happening in their systems, there are other people out there who want an automated product that offers a decent protection. Besides using a combination of products, might imply more hassle with bugs and incompatibilities.

Moreover many tend to suggest to add a HIPS like Comodo or Online Armor to complement a free AV, but to me HIPS make people slaves to their PC. I surf safe and I rarely (not to say never) get infected, therefore why should I bother myself with annoying pop ups from the HIPS or firewall. This is why I prefer a paid suite.

Thanks

12. JoeBlack40

Hi smage
    I understand,it's your point of view and i respect it.Thank you too.

13. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Most average folks want a 'set and forget' security solution and this is why the suites sell so well.Everything works pretty much out of the box with minimal configuration required.
    For those that are willing to take some time putting together a layered defence with good freeware,it's perfectly possible to have security that at least matches and often exceeds the paid-for products.

14. moserw

moserw Registered Member

Actually some of the security suites are more confusing than ever! Freeware does offer the same level of protection or in some instances even better, just the commercial support is missing so you are basically on your own or depend on such forums which is not such a bad thing if you know a little bit about computers.

15. andyman35

I agree that some of the suites have grown in complexity but the likes of NIS are usually just configured so that by default they'll offer decent protection,with further options available for those that like to tweak.

Also given the poor quality of 'commercial support' with some vendors,using forums for help is not such a bad idea.

16. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

just 1 word, Yes.

17. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

You may be correct. You may be incorrect. The difficulty is that no independent organization (at least of which I am aware) has tested combinations of free products against the paid security suites to assess differences in the level of real-world protection provided against malware. In the absence of such knowledge, it’s simply conjecture to speculate that a layered combination of freeware provides malware protection that is better, worse or the same as a paid security suite.

Of course, some individuals may prefer freeware for a variety of reasons, and that’s a personal decision that I respect. Claiming that the preference is based on “as good as” or “better” protection against malware as that provided by paid security suites, however, can’t be one of the reasons for that choice at this point in time, from my perspective.

From a purely logical basis, it seems to me that a security suite has one powerful advantage: the synergistic “integration benefit.” When all of the components work together in a suite, there is the potential to achieve a higher level of performance than when using a set of discrete and disconnected utilities.

18. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Hi;

Yes! Absoulutely! I agree with moserw to select one in the league of the those high rated free AV, add CIS with D+(disregard the AV/custom install) or OA free/Outpost free, add Prevx free or HitmanPro, then browse with Sandboxie and your set to go!:D

19. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

in my opinion a full blown internet security suite,with its multi-layer security modules will most often stop any virus/malware to even set foot on your system,which in my experience, free av's are unable to do...

in last 2mths i have been infected by two serious infections- win32.polipos,win32.sohanad......and it both cases avira/avg were able to detect it,but were unable to completely clean it......as it kept loading itself in the memory at every boot and thereby infecting more files.....
    Sohanad also disabled avira free......

And also,as you can see like me,they were not able to prevent it........which NIS-2010 did for me........

20. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Yes, many free products are giving superb protection than many paid products.
    If i am going for a free stup then this would be my choice
    Antivir personal:thumb:
    Outpost free:thumb:
    Threatfire:thumb:
    Winpatrol:thumb:
    Nothing can beat this combination :thumb:

21. andyman35

A direct comparison between Avira free and NIS-2010 isn't a fair one since the latter is a full blown product rather than just an AV/AS.Had you also been running Comodo D+,OA or SBIE ,etc you would likely have had a very different result.

22. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

For me at least, the benefit of a security suite is It can be smarter then the rest. Take Comodo +D it's chatty as hell if you move the mouse you get 40303 popups about it. Now you use something like Norton IS it stops the same thing but is smart enough to know what should be allowed and what should not. Making the chance of user f-up alot less. In my opinion this is where all in one suites excel the most.

23. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Avira Pro
    Outpost Pro
    Threatfire
    Winpatrol Plus

Beats that combination ;)

24. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Except for the fact that your shelling out some cash I don't think the protection is that much improved over the free versions. Certainly if you add firefox with no script & adblock plus you are approaching Avira pro. The firewall in the pro version is more configurable but the free version is almost better as it will probably run lighter & not confilict with Avira at all. WinPatrol plus is really not that all much better that the pro version but you are helping Scotty to get some more doggybonesI suppose.

25. andyman35

Actually following on from Pleonasm's point,it'd be interesting to see a comparitive test between some of the paid-for suites and a 'best of' freeware combi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.