Can ESET NOD32 be configured to save quarantined files in specific volume and folder?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jvopalensky, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvopalensky

jvopalensky Registered Member

From what I see, it seems all quarantined files are stored in each user’s “documents” and in the folder \Local settings\Application data\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Quarantine.

This is a problem on our development server (Win 2003), which we use to test our web application and have on-line backup (from LiveVault) running. This backup uses Windows OS Volume Shadow Copying (VSC) service for every volume where any file is being backed-up. If any infected file is loaded onto this server and ESET quarantines it, the online backups fail - due to "corrupted" VSC.

Is there a way to configure ESET to use specific disk volume and folder where these infected files are quarantined? I cannot find a way in our version 3.x - and suspect the same issue exists in the new version 4.x.

Thanks ~ Jan

P.S. I submitted a support request to ESET on this subbject, but so far I had no answer.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's only possible with v2, there's no workaround for v3/v4 either. The only thing I can think of is running a batch file periodically that would delete the content of the quarantine folder for each user.

3. jvopalensky

Thanks Marcos.

But this loss of configuration functionality in newer releases sucks. It is not clear to me why it was removed.

~ Jan

4. jvopalensky

For the benefit of all, actually looking into the ESET KB I see that you can specify a quarantine folder in the command line scanner tool 'ecls.exe'. As per the docs, you can use the parameter "/quar-dir , which is a directory path to use for quarantining files".

See: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN565

I suspect if this setting can be used with the command line, it should be possible to do it with the ESET program that is started with every computer re-boot. Perhaps only the documentation and ESET support has to improve.

Note though, that in my case I resolved my problem by explicitly excluding all the default quarantine folders used by ESET. Luckily, LiveValut allows you to make this exclusion using wild-card folder name.

/ Jan

5. s10

s10 Registered Member

Re: Can ESET NOD32 be configured to save quarantined files in specific volume and fol

I would like to add my dissatisfaction on this issue.
    It is unacceptable that a vendor will assume control over the internal arrangement of the user's computer.

Those who know how to look for the option are advanced enough to make their minds on this.
    In addition, a newer version is assumed to be better then its previous, not take off options that were previously available.

Please consider correcting this issue with some priority not the lowest.
    Thank you

6. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

Get real guys..... how many antivirus programs do you know of, that let you choose where the quarantine folder will be ? And if you know of some, then why aren't you using those products ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.