Can Comodo Firewall Pro be neutered?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by flinchlock, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

I am a very safe surfer... I have NEVER had any virus/malware of any kind... any scanner I have ever ran, has only found a few tracking cookies.

But, lately I have become very curious about a simple Phone Home control program.

After spending at least 8 hours/day reading Wilders posts the last few weeks, I do not think I am any closer!

I almost got sucked into the current paranoid of HIPS. (Thank [your current deity] for GHOST.)

Since I already have a HW Stateful Firewall, can Comodo Firewall Pro be neutered (assuming CFP is male) to just monitor outbound application network connections?

Is CFP the right tool I am looking for?

Mike

2. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Just go into Comodo's settings and disable the Network Monitor. Comodo is what you are looking for, but you should use FireFox for your web browser to eliminate possibilities of ActiveX exploits coming through InternetExplorer. If you don't like the idea of a HIPS, give Samurai a try - it will make it's changes and leave you alone after that.

3. flinchlock

Thanks!

I do use Firefox (see my signature) 99.99% of the time with NoScript (I only use Temporarily allow somesite).

o_O Samurai... http://turbotramp.fre3.com/

Again, Thanks!
    Mike

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  4. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

Actually, if you just want outbound application monitoring, there are other firewalls that will do the same job and take up much less resources than Comodo. Kerio 2.1.5 is very, very light and would do the trick, and runs much ligher than Comodo.

5. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I wouldn't recommend Kerio 2.1.5, it does not cover all outbound traffic (which flinchlock seems to want). There are also current advisories on Kerio 2.1.5 over at: http://secunia.com/product/1493/?task=statistics

If Comodo is too heavy, maybe go from there, but if not then it is most likely the best choice.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

If you just want simple allow/block prompts you can try ProxyFirewall. You could also use AppDefend, just disable all its features except for Network Access (or whatever its called).

7. flinchlock

What about ZA 4.5.594? (http://secunia.com/product/150/ = "There are no unpatched Secunia advisories affecting this product, when all vendor patches are applied.")

Interesting product, but dose not show any system type processes.

I can not find the difference between the Free and Paid.

Mike

8. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Can anyone tell me if Comodo has stealth mode like Zonealarm? Will Comodo have it in its version 3?

9. WSFuser

10. thanatos_theos

WSFuser,

How does Comodo stealth my computer. Is this stealth mechanism the same with Zonealarms'? Does it hide my ip address? I think it does not hide my ip address because when I go to some websites, my ip address is posted. Any comments?

thanatos

11. WSFuser

Comodo stealths your ports but not your IP. Its a firewall afterall.

To hide your IP you will need a different software like GhostSurf or Hide IP.

12. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Looks like CPFV3 may improve it's RAM usage if this is one of your concerns. It's due out the 14th, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It's something to keep in mind.

13. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

14. thanatos_theos

Comodo really is the best according to matousec, followed by Jetico v2. WSFuser, are those ip hiders freeware or not. Are they also standalone? I think a computer will be much safe if its ip address is hidden. But some sites require your ip. So should I hide or not my ip address?

15. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Lookup thinks such as: TOR, Toriffy, Free Proxy, Proxy Firewall, Pay Proxy

16. flinchlock

No thanks... bye bye George! :gack:

Mike

17. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Using AppDefend wasn't a bad idea ;\

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.