can anyone tell me if this link is safe, please?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by iceni60, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i was looking for a freeware program that will format my floppy disks to a larger size. i found a link from all4you.dk/ which is normally a safe site to use, when i click on the link to the software's site Firefox pops up and says

"you are about to log into the site "download.freepaq.dk" with the username "dl00012890," but the website does not require authentication. This may be an attempt to trick you.
    Is "download.freepaq.dk" the site you want to visit?

the only time i have seen popups like that in the past is when i have been playing around with "shrouded" URLs. is it safe? thanks

http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php?id=12122

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I tried the link in all three on-board browsers (IE6, Opera 7.54u2 and FireFox 1.0.3).

All opened normally without any messages whatsoever from any of the three, and SpoofStick confirmed in IE and FireFox that the actual address loaded was indeed www.all4you.dk .

Nothing hinky about it AFAICS. Why you got the message you did, I really don't know. I'm not a subscriber to that particular site, though, so I'm not seeing any way of d/l'ing that particular program and seeing if I get a warning then. Pete

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have been useing that site for quite a while with no problems.

bigc

Attached Files:

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, the link i was trying to say i had trouble with was the link at the site after the all4you.dk/ link which leads to here when i click on that last link i get the popup. right now i am using IE and Proxo says "error connecting to site" but when i tried it in FF i got the popup from before that i was wondering was safe or not. i'm not very good at explaining these things, but it's the link in the screenshot that says "download"

i think it's a dead link now after trying it with IE

Attached Files:

5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi iceni60,

I got the same warning from Opera 8 when I followed your links. From watching the network traffic, the download link redirects you to an FTP site with a username login (requests going out to port 21) to get the file. At the moment, the link is erratic and I either get the popup, or a "server not available" error, or no download. I have not had any problems with files downloaded this way via sites I trust.

Nick

Attached Files:

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for having alook at it, i think i'll look for something else i don't know the site so i'll leave it. thanks for the help :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.