Can anyone help with the following problems? Any replies appreciated:)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by zoril, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hi there:)

I have had a problem that hopefully someone might be able to help me with?

Initially I created a rescue disk, then a complete image of my hard drive which I saved to my external removable hard drive - No problems there!
    I decided I wanted to create a secure zone on my current drive (not the external one), so that I could save a complete image, then have incremental backups in the future.

Creating an 8 gig secure zone (app double the size of my 4 gig of data) was ok. The problem started when I rebooted. I got the message no operating system! I was able to use my rescue disk and restore the image from my external hard drive which was restored ok with no problems.

I tried the same thing a second time and got an mbr error on reboot. I had earlier made a floppy disk with the Acronis mbr repair file. I tried unsuccessfully using the repair floppy. All went ok until a message about something not found at the end needed to complete the process...

Again I used my rescue disk and restored the backup using the saved image on my external hard drive. Both times before doing this I deleted the secure zone, using the Acronis option after using my rescue disk...

1.) It is quite possible that I am making some very elementary error. Has anyone an idea what the problems might be when I reboot, after successfully creating a secure zone?

2.) If I am unable to create a secure zone which is obviously ideal for incremental backups etc and should access to my C:\ drive prove impossible, can I safely create a complete disk image on the C:\drive without using the secure zone, or can I only save partitions there? Ideally I would far prefer to have the secure zone. I read another post on this issue earlier but was unsure if problems might emerge when trying to restore a complete disk image that included the operating system, that was not in the secure zone, yet is on the same drive as the one being restored to?

3.) One final question relates to my startup programs with msconfig. Is it essential to have the following ticked - Acronis True Image monitor, Acronis Scheduler2 service(2 different entries), or can I just load Acronis from my shortcut on the desktop, without any adverse affects...

My system is A Pentium3 800mhz with Windows'98SE operating system. I have the one C:\ drive and no other partitions. My rescue disk was created with build 859. My current build that I use is 826, following the advice in this forum...

Replies appreciated,

Howard

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Howard,

When you created the SZ you probably accepted the default option to also activate the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager (SRM). Doing so will modify your original MBR, which is likely to be the reason for the problem.

The SRM is primarily there for people who don't have the capability to boot from either the rescue floppies or CD. As you are able to boot from the rescue CD, I recommend that you restore your original system (without a SZ right?), create a SZ but this time select the "Do not activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager" option.

No can do I'm afraid. During the image restore process Acronis would delete all existing partitions (except a hidden SZ) and therefore there would be no image that True Image could restore from!!

There are in fact 3 services that are started automatically by TI, i.e. "schedul2.exe", "schedhlp.exe" and "TrueImageMonitor.exe". This <link to a previous Acronis Support reply> explains what these do.

Regards

3. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman,

Many thanks for the reply:)

Re point 1.) You are correct. The first time I got the mbr error I did opt for Startup Recovery Manager.

However the second time I definitely didn't opt for Startup Recovery Manager. It was the second time that I got the message no operating system when I rebooted. I wonder if maybe the original startup Recovery Manager from the first attempt is still in place, eventhough I didn't select it the second time that I created a secure zone? Mind you I can't see how though, as I restored a complete disk image from the external drive. The second time I didn't get an MBR error...

Re point 2.) I definitely won't create a rescue disk on my existing drive anywhere other then the secure zone, if I can somehow get that working after a reboot.

Re point 3.) That link is very helpful . Much appreciated for that. after reading the post it seems that it is maybe best to leave all three enabled in msconfig...

I need somehow to be able to create the secure zone in a way that I can boot normally without any error message ie my o/s is recognised, then when online copy the partition or disk image to it? Any suggestions?

Howard:)

4. Menorcaman

Hi again Howard,

Removing the SZ via the Manage Acronis Secure Zone wizard should have returned your MBR to normal. I say "should" because that's not always the case, especially with Win98/WinMe. I note that you used the Acronis fixmbr floppy the first time you tried to repair the MBR. I'm not entirely sure whether that utility is compatable with a hard drive that's been initialized via the DOS fdisk command.

Does your hard drive have any special hidden partitions that you boot into e.g. proprietary System Recovery or Diagnostic partitions? Please advise.

If your hard drive has 2 or more partitions, did you select the whole disk by ticking the box next to the drive letter when creating your image (see screenshot below)? This is required in order that the MBR is copied into the image. Again, please advise.

If you imaged a disk containing only 1 partition, or you imaged the whole of a multi-partition disk, then try the following:

- Boot into a DOS prompt via your Win98 Startup Floppy or Win98 Installation Disk and issue the command FDISK /MBR. This will install a new, clean MBR.

- Reboot form the Acronis bootable rescue CD and restore the image of the whole disk by checking the tickbox next to the drive letter again.

- Create a new SZ, ensuring that you select the option not to activate the Startup Recovery Manager. The system will reboot automatically as part of the SZ creation process.

Make sure you carry out the above steps in the correct order and then let us know what transpired.

Regards

Attached Files:

5. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hiya:)

Definitely no hidden partitions or Diagnostic partitions

Only the one partition. The image I saved was the whole disk.

I was hoping that the fact that the utility failed to repair, in that it could not find something or other means that the overwrite worked, when I restored the image from the external drive. No MBR problems again, mind you I followed your advice re a new MBR (see below).

I did that after reading your post using my floppy Windows'98 rescue disk. I'm not sure if I used caps though - maybe I should have instead of fdisk /mbr?

Groans:( I created a new SZ then rebooted. No problem with MBR (as SRM unchecked), but a message operating system not found. The message appeared just after I booted. I had to restore the image again from external drive using the rescue CD.

It is almost as after creating a new SZ, when I boot up immediately after it is looking for something different - 'though I can't see why? I don't understand why creating the SZ should even affect the startup or the OS?

Although my answers in this post are not in the right order, I did everything in the order you suggested. I am very grateful to you for your help.

Howard:)

6. Menorcaman

It makes no difference Howard, the command isn't case sensitive.

Bugger it!! I too am at a loss now and don't understand why the mere fact of creating the SZ stops your system from booting into Win98. Perhaps Acronis Support or someone with deeper knowledge of FAT32 and/or the DOS/Win98 boot process could chime in with some new ideas?

Regards

7. zoril

zoril Registered Member

I just sent a message to Acronis support (+ the Acronis Report.exe), which hopefully may help find a solution.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced a similar problem with Win'98, or any other OS? If Acronis comes up with something, I will definitely post it in this thread.

I have always had a minor problem when installing True image at the point where drivers are installed. The screen goes blue for a second. I need to use ctrl/alt/delete. This is right at the end of any installation.

Perhaps that may be causing my problem - but again it doesn't make sense why it should, as 1 hidden SZ surely has nothing to do with the OS startup, I wouldn't have thought. Everything else is working fine.......Howard:)

8. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

The MBR is corrupted once again and this type of corruption can only be fixed by using the Win98 boot floppy with fdisk /mbr. One final time should do it.

9. zoril

zoril Registered Member

I can try once more then post back the result tomorrow. After I reinstall from the image it usually takes about 1 hour to restore the backup image....Howard

10. Menorcaman

At this stage anything is possible!! Maybe booting into Window "Safe" mode and installing TI from there will overcome the install hiccup?

Anyway, hopefully beenthereb4's recomendation to fix the MBR again after the new SZ has been created will get you up and running (good catch beenthereb4. Don't know why I didn't include that suggestion - must be my old age :p ).

Regards

11. zoril

zoril Registered Member

hiya:)

There have been some changes since last night and hopefully things are starting to move in the right direction:-

I tried that suggestion of beenthereb4 late last night using a different bootup Windows '98 floppy disk. I think it that it has worked:) in that for the first time I was able to create the SZ and boot back into Windows and my desktop.

However the phase of 1-3 resizing partition that folowed immediately + the subsequent reboot required at the end again brought up the same message as earlier "operating sytem not found".

Again I used my rescue disk from my faithful external hard drive to restore the complete image. Naturally I left the new SZ in place on C:. There were no problems restoring the image. When everything was back, I then copied the complete C: drive to the SZ - I am glad to say with no problems. I then increased the size of the secure zone, again with no problems even after the reboot!

I did try that a few times with no joy, but the install each time on the surface seems to be ok. That error occurs either with a completely new install, or when installing over an earlier version. The new clean install I have found to be the better option in that installing over the old version, always causes my computer to freeze at the very last point when drivers are installed! It is most likely an issue to do with Windows'98. Maybe there is a simple solution like up to date vbrun files - (I think that currently I have 6. something or other).

Without question much progress has been made thanks to you both. It has helped considerably. Hopefully I will get an email from Acronis support that may cast some light on the "blue screen" issue and also the "operating system not found" message after resizing. I also sent them my system file *.NFO. At least I have the SZ now, which does help a great deal....Howard:)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  12. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Thanks for posting back with your results. It's essential to report back so that the knowledge base of the forum can be accurate. Most people never join or post, they find their help by browsing the forum. You have helped many who will find their answer silently and unknown to us.

13. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Thanks again for your help. Yes I think that when people spend time trying to help others, it is only fair to post results after trying out all the suggestions, to hopefully find a definitive solution to a problem - if in fact there is one.

For that reason, when I get an email from Acronis Technical I will try out any suggestions that they may have and definitely post the results in this thread, should they resolve the issues.......Howard:)

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Howard,

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out how the investigation is going.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

15. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hi there Ilya:),

Indeed I am very pleased to say that Technical support have been in touch with several suggestions - Acronis(#294911). I have tried out what was requested and the "Blue Screen" issue, fingers crossed, seems to be resolved.

This is the reply that I sent to them today. Hopefully it may help any others in this forum, that have experienced a similar issue when installing:-

Hi there:)

I believe that I may have now discovered the solution to my problem, thanks
    very much to your help, and to the link that you provided for me to the
    file:- SNAPAPI_1_S_E.exe.

I ran this file with logging disabled as requested by yourself, then tried
    to install the latest build of True Image(build 889), over the earlier
    build...

As in the past, all went well with the processing, until the message
    "Drivers installation please wait". The little clock just kept spinning,
    but nothing happened. Importantly there was NO blue screen as with earlier
    installs! Also this time the clock did spin, whereas previously it froze
    at that same point, when installing over an earlier build...

After waiting 7+ minutes, I used ctrl/alt/delete once to have a look at the
    running processes. I noticed one of them seemed to be not working -
    MSGSRV32(not responding). This is something that I would not have been able
    to see before.

I left logging disabled, then decided to replace the MSGSRV32.exe file with
    a new one, which I extracted from my Windows'98se installation disk. I then
    tried to re-install build 889 again (without uninstalling), to see if it
    would make any difference.

I am delighted to say that this time all installed well. I have not run the
    SNAPAPI file again. I have left logging disabled. Please let me know if you
    feel that I should enable it, by running the same SNAPAPI file again?

Many thanks for your much appreciated help. I will also post my reply to you
    in the forum as it will close off the thread. Hopefully it might help
    anyone who may have experienced a similar problem, but didn't realise that
    it may be caused by a corrupt MSGSRV32.exe file.

Kind regards,

Howard

16. Acronis Support

Hello Howard,

Glad to hear the problem is solved. The snapapi is the driver that Acronis True Image uses when accessing the hard drive. You were given the updated version of this driver that solved the issue.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

17. zoril

zoril Registered Member

That's great Ilya:),

Do you think that I should just leave logging disabled?

Howard

18. Acronis Support

Hello Howard,

Yes, you may leave logging disabled. If the problem persisted you would have to enable logging and then send the log file to us. That would have allowed us to analyze the problem. In your case the problem was solved and the log file will not show any problems as well (quite naturally, isn't it?).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

19. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Much obliged Ilya your reply is appreciated. I will leave logging disabled...........Howard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.