Can anybody help?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by iglis1dl, Jun 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iglis1dl

iglis1dl Registered Member

:doubt:

First time user

I've downloaded and installed spybot and spylaster, but yet my homepage is still being highjacked (I think same problem as tony|954 ):

hxxp://www.search-for-you.com/main.php?id=11261&said=130

Is it possible that these settings are set by spywareblaster in tools menu?

Search menu also has been reset.

I can change the settings in IE for current session but logout and relogin settings return to
    hxxp://www.search-for-you.com/main.php?id=11261&said=130

Would I need to create a new system snapshot after editing the settings in tools menu of spywareblaster?

Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2004
  2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I'm afraid that like Tony's thread, you probably have existing spyware already embedded on your system. While Spybot and SpywareBlaster provide many specific spyware protections, they don't cover everything that's out there. Some spyware can only be found and removed manually. You should also post a HijackThis Log by following this procedure:

HOW TO? Read here about how to post your log!!

The tools in SpywareBlaster can show you some of the default IE pages (home and search pages) and it can let you make a change to them, but that specific screen does not ensure they stay set as you wanted. If a spyware program is on your system and runs again, it'll just hijack you again. That's why it is important to remove all embedded spyware first, then improve your security to prevent future hijacks.

3. Dakotabreed

Dakotabreed Registered Member

As the others said, unwanted changes to home pages can litter your registry with a recurring loop that automatically resets your page to some ad- or spy-ware thing. I'd suggest that you download the free version of WinPatrol. Once installed, try setting your homepage to www.msn.com or whatever you want, then just stay on the web browsing or whatever you want to do. Within a few minutes, Winpatrol should pop up a box stating that your home page has changed, and do you want to keep it. If it states that the page is www.msn.com, click yes. When you restart the browser later, if Searchforyou again trys to reset as the home page, WinPatrol will notify you that the home page is being switched and ask if you want to do so. Click no to keep MSN. This may work for good, but I'm going to guess that you will have this notice pop up everytime you open the browser since the loop is in your registry.

If you ever get it really straightened out, keep Winpatrol since it will always ask you if your home page is going to be switched in the future.

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

No offence intended Dakotabreed, but in this case iglis1dl is better off following the thread posted by LWM as there is a specific forum set up to address this prolific situation (Browser Hijacking), there they will find removal tools such as CWShredder and system information tools such as Hijack This. After getting cleaned up they will be pointed to prevention tools like Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster, together with scanning and removal software in the likes of Spybot Search and Destroy, and AdAware.

Cheers :D

5. Dakotabreed

Dakotabreed Registered Member

None taken. A man who can't load a simple AV program probably shouldn't be handing out advice that was only so-so in potential, anyway. :)

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

LOL, no I don't believe that's the case (with Nod), you will be fine, think your system is just giving you a little gyp, and it won't be long until you sort out why and have it installed, these things are sometimes sent to try us... ;)

Cheers :D

7. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi iglis1dl,

Since you posted a hijackthis log here, I have split that post off and moved it over into our 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' forum where it will get the right attention.

You can find it here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37349

Regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.