can anybody help with this annoying error??.........please

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ghodgson, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

I am running Win XP home 2.4 mhz Pentium 4, 72.5 GB hard drive and everytime I close Outlook Express I get the following error message.............
    ''MSIMN.Exe app error, Instruction at 0X77f83aef referenced memory at 0x009b487c, the memory could not be written. Click ok to terminate the programme''
    Other than that everything works Ok in OE.
    Can anyone tell me how to resolve this error situationo_O
    Thanks

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

At First Glance; Which version of MSIMN.EXE are you using? The latest version sould be:

Also, please check your Event Viewer and look at the Application log. Please post any references to Outlook here.

Close Hauled

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

List of error codes. I don't see yours listed here.

Codes

4. nick s

nick s Registered Member

In Outlook Express, try going to Tools/Options/Maintenance and disable "Compact messages in the background".

Nick

5. ghodgson

Thanks everybody, The version I am running is msimn.exe 6.0.2800.1123,
    In the event viewer there are no application errors for OE in the 'application log' only in the 'system log', where these originated. They are listed as application popups ID event 26, type ..information , category ..none no other info is given. ie application error codes. Its a puzzle to me. Any further ideas guyso_O?
    In the meantime I will try disable 'compact messages in the background'.
    Gordon

6. Azn_Tweaker

Azn_Tweaker Registered Member

7. ghodgson

Dear ANZ Tweaker and others, Thanks for your input. Disabling 'compact messages in the background' in OE has not helped with this problem. It persists.
    I have read the posting at livepublishing and it would appear there is little that can be done, maybe XP SP2 will solve the problem, so I await the release of that.
    Thanks again.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What does your event log in the control panel say about this error?

9. ghodgson

Dear Ronjor, I have already included all the info from the log viewer, ie.
    ''In the event viewer there are no application errors for OE in the 'application log' only in the 'system log', where these originated. They are listed as application popups ID event 26, type ..information , category ..none'' no other info is given. ie application error codes.
    If you read the link to Livepublishing in ANZ tweakers letter this gives exactly the problem I am having.
    Gordon

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

11. f123

f123 Guest

Yes, repairing IE may resolve your problem.

F.

12. ghodgson

Ok, Thanks Ron and co. I have been to the eldergeek and read all. Here is my feedback.
    1] I ran system file checker.................problem persists.
    2] I changed the registry entry and tried to repair OE from the download location given. The problem persists. I did not try to repair Internet Explorer as the problem is only with OE.
    3] I have e-mailed Microsoft to see what response if any I get from them.
    o_O I dont know what else to do, as I dont think this merits a full re installation of XP as it seems to have a nuisance value only. Everything works OK.[so far!!]
    Gordon o_O

13. f123

f123 Guest

OE is part of IE. Repairing IE will also repair OE.

F.

14. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

I have seen that problem before and at one time this help article was used..

PC Utilities is a monthly magazine which provides everything you need to get the most from your PC. Each issue comes complete with a coverdisc featuring hundreds of fantastic free programs. It's available in all good UK newsagents. You can also buy it (or subscribe) on this site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Service Windows
    "When I've finished using the Internet or Outlook Express I get the following error message: "Msimn.exe. Application error. The instruction at 0x77f83aef referenced memory at 0x009a477c."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System
    No details provided.

Problem
    I run Windows XP Home Edition. When I've finished using the Internet or Outlook Express I get the following error message: "Msimn.exe. Application error. The instruction at 0x77f83aef referenced memory at 0x009a477c. The memory could not be written. Click OK to terminate program." I don't know what it is and it's causing me trouble. Can you please help?
    David Booth

Solution
    This might be one of the oddest problems we've encountered because it appears the problem is caused by a file extension of more than 260 characters! We don't know how this happened in your case and, to be blunt, we're not sure how to fix it. One way would be to look through your major directory listings (ie \windows and \windows\system) to look for particularly long file extensions (the bit after the dot).

Such a long file extension might be caused by a bug within Windows or, perhaps more likely, it might be caused by human error - in some instances with the Hide Extensions For Known File Types option turned off (under Folder Options within XP). It's possible to accidentally type after the full stop a filename that's too long. You might also try using the System File Checker - restart in Safe Mode (hit F8 just after the BIOS memory checks and select Safe Mode). Then when Windows has finished booting, click Start/ Run and type 'sfc /scannow'. This will check your system files and ensure they're not corrupted.

However, to be honest, what you describe could be caused by a variety of problems and you haven't given us sufficient system details. For example, you might find the problem is related to a hardware RAM problem or it could be something as simple as downloading a new graphics driver. You should certainly make sure you have Windows XP Service Pack 1 downloaded and installed (visit www.windowsupdate.com for details).

Posted Oct 1, 2003

But then if you are doing POP3 with multiple email accounts IN OE and a Virus Scan product like McAfee where a Proxy is set up..the lenght of all that info might also be hard to put away when you close down OE.

see here

http://forums.techguy.org/archive/index.php/t-248824.html

and this is all Microsoft has on the subject.

OLEXP: Error Message: Msimn.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed by Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258034

15. ghodgson

Dear f123, Thanks, I tried repairing IE [ from that website at Live publishing] after download it wouldnt install because it said the file wasnt verified by Microsoft [!!!!!!o_O?], so then I was in trouble half way through an install !!!, upshot was I had to do a system restore. Forget that way in future.
    Primrose, thanks for your input. Yes I have Norton AV and NIS running, so maybe there is something in that. I also had SPAMWEED set up to proxy the emails in OE, so as a matter of trial and error I uninstalled SPAMWEED but the problem persisted so that is not the culprit. I will play around with NAV and see if that resolves it. As a matter of interest does anybody else have this ERRORo_Oo_Oo_O?
    Gordon

16. f123

f123 Guest

There should be an option to remove/repair IE from your add/remove screen. If not, then update IE from the Microsoft website and remove/reinstall IE.

F.

17. nick s

nick s Registered Member

18. ghodgson

Thanks Nick, so I am not the only one with this. In some ways nice to know in that I am not alone. Returning to the problem, I have disabled NAV and e mail scanning [and NIS] on numerous occasions but the problem still persists. I am not going to go as far as un installing everything just to see if that helps.!!! I noticed that the pop up only occurs when I am on line and close OE, when I am offline I dont get any errors when closing OE.
    In the Google threads which I read, the people giving advice there gave allsorts of remedies.......... so I wonder how many have solved this little problem. Oh well maybe XP SP2 may help.
    Incidentally Microsoft have yet to reply to my queryo_O o_O
    Gordon

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

20. ghodgson

Hi all, me again, Just thought I would let you all know that its 1 week since I e mailed Microsoft for support with this problem and so far have had no reply. I hope someone at Microsoft is reading this and I also wish they were as quick to give after sales support as they are to sell you their product and take your money.
    None out of ten for effort MS.
    Gordon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.