can any pc-wiz give me advise on which win-7 I install on my system?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by taleblou, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:

I have another pc that has 4GB of rams and its a AMD quad processor and was wondering if 32bit or 64bit windows would work best? Thanks in advance.

2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

64-bit. Everything is moving to 64-bit, and it give you the option to use more than 4GB of RAM in the future if you wish.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

If you have no intentions of running more than that 4GB of RAM it really does not matter which one you go with. Examine the hardware and software you wish to use it with and pick the one that is most compatible.

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Forget about 32-bit, it´s obsolete. 64-bit works perfectly with 4 GB.

5. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    A 64 bit Windows operating system is more secure than a 32 bit Windows operating system.

Best regards

6. xxJackxx

Out of the box, yes. However, and I am asking, is that still the case depending on the software you install? I think about the long list of features on suites like Norton and Kaspersky that are not available on a 64 bit system. Are those lack of features offset by the inherent security of the 64 bit OS or is the 32 bit OS more secure with the more full featured 32 bit security suite?

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

4 GB isn't even fully allocated in 32-bit for most people.

8. taleblou

Hi:

Thanks for all the responses. Now to add, that I will not increase the ram beyond 4 gb since this is an old pc (a couple of years old). Although I asked the question ram wise to see which version runs smoother. Also I am aware that many softwares do not have 645bit version or are compromised in 64bit version.

So from running smooth point and compatibility issue which you guys believe is best?

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I guess 64-bit is smoother with PatchGuard. As for compatibility it works for everything I tried, WoW64 mode is great. You should list which software you need so we know how to decide. Note that 64-bit will eventually replace 32-bit in terms of software support.

10. xxJackxx

True but since the 64 bit uses more of that 4GB of RAM they are about even on the memory. The 64 bit install will take up more disk space. There is no wrong choice here, but it is good to consider the differences.

11. taleblou

I know 360IS is limited in 64bit (no keylogging for example). Sandboxie and others may not protect fully in 64bit (because of patch guard) as they do in 32bit I heard. Also 64bit comodo may not be as fully protective as 32bit, etc...

So my question is protection wise from 3rd part security apps. Anyway so there is no difference in ram usage and speed between the 2 as you guys are saying?

If the there is non then I may go with 32bit, since it has more compatible applications. If there is any improvment in 64bit over 32bit then I will go with it then? SO in this regard which you think is best. My concern is more of security base and also speed and smoothness..

Thanks in advance.

12. guest

guest Guest

64bit OS uses more RAM. Speed is relative. With 32bit you'll lose some of the 4GB RAM. IIRC it only makes use of 3,5GB RAM. As you know, 64bit has PatchGuard, a two sided sword feature. According to some experts PatchGuard doesn't do much but crippled most third party security software. Might put that into consideration. DEP and ASLR works better on 64bit Windows OS. Most 32bit programs will run under 64bit but there are actually some which won't run properly or won't run at all.

Some info: hxxp://www.w7forums.com/threads/windows-7-64-bit-vs-32-bit.484/

13. taleblou

Thanks for reply. Since 64bit uses more ram then I guess I stay with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.