Can an OS be spyware?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ando35, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ando35

ando35 Registered Member

If I got a copy of windows 7 from a private person (disk with code) can it somehow be manipulated to be spyware for him? I know, paranoid but can you trust getting windows 7 copy from a stranger?:ninja:

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Don't be silly. No, of course you can't. You don't trust strangers normally, why should it be any different when it comes to computers?

3. ando35

ando35 Registered Member

And what about inserting spyware into an os on a disc??

4. scott1256ca

scott1256ca Registered Member

What would stop this person from building rootkits into the OS? Every driver could be compromised and collect info, all to pass it to the network when convenient. May not be likely, but I think if I were you, I'd rather pay a few dollars and get a legit OS. You know, from a really really trustworthy company like Microsoft. :)

5. ando35

ando35 Registered Member

Thanks Scotty!

6. katio

katio Guest

I'm not sure how to make a perfect iso copy of a disk but if you can you could run a hashsum of the iso and compare it with those published on MS websites.

What would you do with such a disk anyway, you still need a valid license...?

7. ando35

ando35 Registered Member

It has a license that can be used any number of times on an y number of Pc's and it has a key. I would assume that avira would catch anything on there, right?

8. katio

katio Guest

No avira won't catch everything, it catches most that's out there, but no AV got 100% detection rate.

Technically the license works, but the license doesn't allow it...

9. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Is it worth the risk ?

NO !!!

If you really want the operating system, spend some bucks and get it from a legitimate source.
    The peace of mind alone is worth it.

10. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

Of course it can. Backdoors, who knows. I wouldn't trust that disc any more than I'd trust a copy from a torrent site.

11. scott1256ca

scott1256ca Registered Member

If you wanted to start your own botnet, this would be a great way to do it. Make your own Win7 distro with your botnet included, and a lic. key. As long as it passed the malware scanners, I bet you could get a lot of people to install it who were too cheap to pay for Win7, assuming of course that that is the OS we are talking about. Of course no automatic updates, but people who install pirated Win7 or XP have to expect that going in.

12. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

One could arrange for automatic updates (of all sorts) from one's own servers ;) I believe MS encourages that for corporate networks, so perhaps the process could be bent. Not that I'd ever do such a thing. Really!

13. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

You've got to be kidding telling someone to not be silly. Of course someone can change an image, rip it apart and put back doors into it.

No kidding of course it can! :thumb:

14. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

The license key could be used on many because it is stolen from open licenses that banks , companies or other authorities usually purchase. These types of licenses could usually be installed many times without problem and Microsoft don't care about them . Additionally , the image of that OS is most likely manipulated to pretend to be activated.

There are millions of users worldwide who use pirated operating systems . They are easy to manipulate because the manipulation usually is done during installation - for example at the end of installation of Windows 7 , a little program starts to insert a special key and somehow persuiade the Windows itself that it activated .

Some other pirated version I have seens (for example - Windows XP) - the installation is embedded with all kind of drivers and additional software which gets installed before OS is started so that it recognises the devices a user may be using .

It is public information how to manipulate an OS so there are many ways for a cracked version to do anything. You can NEVER be sure nor any software can GUARANTEE you anything.

So , buying a single Windows for home usage is so not expensive thing - find some money and purchase an original genuine version of Windows 7 - it is the one that can guarantee you no problems , no spyware , no 3rd party manipulation

15. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

And if the OP is thinking of specifically using a copy from TPB - don't even think about it.

16. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Look around for a friend/friend of friend college/university computing student, most get tons of free MS stuff from msdn. Offer them a few drinks and you're golden ;)

17. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

too much fear mongering, let's get the real fact, to verify and be 100% sure learn to hash check, imgburn can create isos from disks and if the hash match with from msdnn or technet (microsoft official) you are clean.

18. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

If you actually do have a valid license, why not download a legal version of Windows 7 from DigitalRiver, construct an ISO and burn it to disk?

Walla, a clean legal Win7 DVD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.