can an operation system increase the amplification of the audio line out?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by mantra, Oct 14, 2017.

1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    may i ask if an operation system can increase the amplification of an audio line out card?

i'm asking just because i have tried to install ubuntu last version , and i create a lot of noise -> line out -> amply ->speakers

just like if i had connected the headphone jack to the amply

so can an operation system increse the amplification of an audio line out (like an headphone jack)?

and maybe damage an high end amply
    thanks

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Actually, what happens is the integrated circuits are designed to operate at full gain (amplification) and then the OS, media player, and hardware settings attenuate it (turn the volume down). So no, the OS does not amplify it.

If the volume is louder with Ubuntu, it is just because its presets do not attenuate it as much by default. And unless there is extreme distortion, it is more likely you will damage the speakers or your ears before the amplifier circuits.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    under windows i can't hear any white noise or crackles and so on
    but under ubuntu i can hear a terrible noise crackles from the speakers without playing audio or sounds
    can ubuntu (in this case "because doesn't detect my audio card" ) generate an extreme distortion and damage the speakers and my ears?
    thanks

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

The distortion itself will not damage your speakers or your ears unless the volume is really high.

You may need to look for different drivers for Ubuntu.

5. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Registered Member

+1 1oo% Linux Mint had this issue too, replacing drivers works. Don't know if this applies to OP but I even had distorted random volume spikes, all was well after drivers replaced though.
    Good luck.

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi @_CyberGhosT_
    does linux mint generate this white noise ,crackle and so on (very nagging) without the right driver?
    thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.