Can an Eavesdropper Protect Your Privacy?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

NY Times Bits article here.

I wonder if there is a way to find out if an ISP is using this new technology, or whether there will arise a way to opt out of it, i.e. since it is about targeted advertising presumably that you want to see, and the fact that it builds a profile of your computer? How private is that - not very, counterintuitive or not!

-- Tom

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Maybe I am one of a kind but I dont want to see ads, regardless of if it is adverts on something I am interested in. When I want buy something I search for it - when I want.
    Or maybe, if this new stuff is really good at finding my interrest, I might turn on advertising when I am looking for something to buy, in theory there would only be adverts on the stuff I am looking for.. but the key is I want to control when I look at ads.

As long as there is a IP that my computer shows to the world, I am identifiable. I guess for me personally I wouldnt be more (or less) private with the system they present compared to today, since I am counting on that if anyone (that has the power) want to monitor me, they are already doing it with the means available today (Echelon anyone?). If I ever want to hide my doings I would use Tor (and crypotgaphy) or something that is developed with open source..
    As long as I can block the ads, I really dont care about this Eavesdropper. .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.