Can AMON cause a system crash

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by zarzenz, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

I have AMON set to scan once the computer starts... with just my firewall (Sygate) and my maintenance programs (JV etc.) excluded.

Problem I currently have is... on rare occassions whilst looking around the net... and using AOL instant messenger the same time... the whole computer freezes... completely... I have to do a power reset to get back running.

So is there a known problem using AOL8 with IE6.

Should I do more exclusion... maybe AOL folder complete... or maybe WINDOWS folder complete.

Can AMON cause a computer to crash like this.

2. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

Hi zarzenz,

Have you tried surfing the web without AOL, just to see if your OS still freezes.

By the way, since Amon is your resident scanner, how do you mean, scanning your pc once, don't you mean Nod32 instead of Amon, since Amon can not be set to do a single scanning of your system.

Let us know about the AOL not running.

rgsd,
    Martiin

3. zarzenz

Hi Martin,

Ah... bad choice of word I used there. By once, I meant that with the computer rebooted... NOD32 control appears in my system tray... and so then AMON automatically scans the various files that are opened.

So it's this monitoring of all the various files that are accessed that I was wondering if crashes are ever reported or known about.

Yes... I will try to remember to use IE from the desktop as a test... problem is it's very intermittant and mainly when my son is using the computer to surf and do IM's the same time... I don't get this problem because I don't IM hardly ever.

I've just done something else this afternoon.

I tried to do a full scan disk, but kept getting cross linked file errors in my restore folder... even though I have my WINME system restore disabled... so I then found after doing a goggle search, a program called system restore remover... I've just run it and it looks good, took out the restore folder and now I've just run full scan disk with no problems... and also full defrag.

So... now back in test mode again.

Anyway... have you ever heard of AMON monitor causing system crashes at all... either with AOL or otherwise.

Cheers,
    zarzenz :)

4. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

Hi zarzenz,

I can't say i do, so if i understand you correctly, you don't get craches when you are not running IMo_O

rgds,
    Martin

5. zarzenz

Well, at the moment it only seems to be when IM is in operation along with websites being visited.

As it happens, I was a few weeks ago getting Wilders crash my PC and this was with no other apps running.

But now it seems ok, so this IM thing may be unrelated.

I am going to try a test.

Next time my son reports a crash... I'll disable AMON, and if all is then ok... I'll start to try various excludes to see if I can locate a file that may be the cause.

It's one of these annoying rare problems that would be so easy to fix if it happened every time... but with it like it is... it may take some time to narrow it down... but I'll crack it sooner or later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.