Can a laptop runs 18 hrs non-stop?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Apr 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I just own for now a pc desktop....and planning to buy soon a laptop pc for mobility. Maybe, laptop could be the only pc I have but I was then wonderin if laptop can run straight 15-18hrs non-stop if plug into electrical outlet without any problem of overheating or something like that....:rolleyes: o_O :cautious:

2. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

I have been using a Dell Inspiron laptop for 2 years and I have often left it on (running on AC power) for long durations and never had any problems. Btw, the Inspiron's power-management blacks-out the display and 'throttles' the disk-drive after the laptop has been idle for about an hour or so (and much sooner when it's on battery power)!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U can do it same via windows builtin Power OPtions in Control Panel.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Depends on the laptop. I have a highend gaming laptop, and I was running it 15hours a day daily. Burnt out the Mobo. I now use it less and also have a fan system to blow air under it.

5. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Yeah, definitely depends. I left my laptop on for a whole month.

6. HAN

HAN Registered Member

IMO, it's directly related to the amount of CPU processing one does. At idle, I think most any laptop could be powered up and run a very long time. But raise the CPU activity to a fairly constant level (which would vary based on cooling capacity) and you may be heading toward a problem. Certainly, adding one of those USB fan cooling bases would help...

7. Peter2150

This beast of mine was running 110F at the exhaust fan. Has 4 fans on the bottom. But it is a P4 3.4Ghz machine with 1024 ram, and a 256mb nvidia graphics card, plus two 80gh drives in raid 0. Lot of heat, and I hadn't thought about the USB cooling bases. It does make a big difference.

8. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I have my laptop on for a few days on end. I'm to lazy to turn it off at times plus I run use torrents.

9. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Burn out the motherboardo_O :eek: :blink: ...well, that's what I am worried about coz this thing looks so small and very compressed inside u know what I mean. What's the brand of ur laptop, maybe, its an older model? :rolleyes: :cautious:

What do u mean of fan system to blow air under ito_O o_O ...is that mean, installing additional fan system into the laptop pc....or just an ordinary electric fan blowing air under the table? :rolleyes: :cautious:

I was even thinking of using or getting a wide size tile used on tile flooring to put on under the laptop so that over-heating will be avoided...u know...clay tiles for flooring absorbs heat and it is always cold. What do u think bout thizo_O :blink: o_O ...anyone tried thiz??/:D

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I have a dell inspiron 6400 which i've left running for days on end with no problems at all, it seems to run very cool imo. Its not super high spec but its good enough for my needs.

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I got a Dell Latitude 420 at work that I leave on for weeks, without any problems - it seems... So far so good.
    Mrk

13. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

A P4 isn't a mobile processor ;) It puts great stress in the VRM and the cooling areas.
    Laptops with the Centrino logo or powered by AMD Turion processors run cooler and they're way more reliable.

14. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I have a resource hogging Toshiba laptop that runs about 12 hours a day, sometimes a few days straight. As long as I blow it out with an air can every few months to keep the fans clean it doesn't have any problems. Mine is always in an air conditioned room though.

15. Peter2150

You are absolutely right. The only unknown in my mind is would the result be different if I had used the external USB fan from the start. Although I didn't buy it from Sager, it is an identical model to some of the Sagers and they also while real screamers did have the same problems. I probably wouldn't do it again. Ah the lessons of life.

16. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Used to leave my T21 on 24/7 with the original P IIIm 850 Mhz processor. This is while it was mounted in it`s docking station which elevates the back of it where the processor and its cooling vent are several inches off of the surface. I have since upgraded it to a P IIIm 1Ghz using Artic Silver paste when installing the upgrade. As long as it is elevated, or at least the side with the processor is not setting flat on any surface it is fine left on for prolonged periods of time.
    As stated above, if the lap top you choose does have a processor designed for mobile use you should be fine. They have made improvements in mobile technology = cooling. The addition of the before mentioned cooling trays are not a bad idea either, a little extra insurance never hurts. Plan on one myself.

17. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I'd guess that that burnt out of the mobo wouldn't have happened at that time.

18. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I bought a Dell Inspirion E1705 last April and its been on ever since.
    Guess I should look into one of those platforms w/ a fan eh?

...screamer

19. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've never used one of those fans and i live in the desert where temp can get over 40C and my DELL has run sweet.

20. screamer

Yeah, I did a review search after reading this thread. They appear to be useless...

Thanks!

...screamer

21. ThunderZ

Would love a link to the reviews. Have considered one myself, some come with extra USB ports which are handy in themselves. IMO anything that circulates more air around the heat producing areas of a lap top would\should be helpful. Would love to read the other opinion(s). Not doubting you, would just like to see their results.

22. screamer

To be quite honest, not all the reviews I read were bad. There just weren't enough good ones to temp me to go to my hip

http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_getprodrev.php/masterid=21303837/form_keyword=

www.thinkcomputers.org/index.php?x=reviews&id=538

-------------------

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-NOTEBOOK-COOLER-USB-Powered-Notebook/dp/B0000BVYTV

...screamer

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2007
  23. Peter2150

You do have to be careful what you buy. Many of the type that are pads pull the air down, which would have been useless for me as my laptop has four small fans underneath it pulling air in. They would just work against each other. I found one, the Spire by Pacific Breeze, that sits behind the laptop with the back edge of the laptop sitting on the fans edge. This way the fan blows air underneath the the machine. Seems to be working for me, and the reviews were fairly good.

Pete

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834996501

24. ThunderZ

Thank you Screamer & Peter2150. My Thinkpad has a single outlet to the rear on the left side (as I am facing the keyboard) which blows out. Next to it is my plug-in wireless G card, next to it is the hdd. The whole underside on the left can become quit warm to the touch if left setting flat and being used. There are really no venting inlets to be found. They must count on the fact of the case not being air tight.
    Sweater, sorry for sort of stealing your thread. My suggestion to you from all this are several fold. Get a lap top that has a processor designed for mobile use. A couple of processor types have been mentioned. Shop carefully and compare. Be aware of where and how the fan(s) vents, side, bottom or back. Does it draw air in or exhaust it. Try when using it to not have it setting flat on any surface as this will potentially limit air circulation. If you still feel a cooling pad is a good idea then with the knowledge you have of your lap top and how it is meant to cool you will be able to make a much better decision on which one to purchase.

25. noduser

noduser Registered Member

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.