Calling Sully Recovering info after hard drive crash

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by gettingthere, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gettingthere

gettingthere Registered Member

Hi everybody

I saw an old post by Sully who made me think there could be hope. My computer crashed and then restarts to a black page with a grey line that starts breaking up midway down. i could really do with getting some of the data off here. Any suggestions?
    Greatly appreciated any help.

Fiona

2. virion

virion Registered Member

Hi Fiona,
    I'm no Sully but maybe I can get you started. :D

Last month I experienced a bad crash and was able to recover all of my important files by using a Linux live CD. If your problem is the result of Windows corruption a live CD should work for you too.

First I downloaded Ubuntu and burned the .ISO image to a blank DVD. Next I booted up into Linux using the DVD and was able to see my hard drive, browse through the files and folders, and copy the items I wanted to save onto a USB flash drive. If you've never used a live CD it might sound complicated but it is actually quite easy. There are lots of tutorials available online, or if you need help, just ask here. As you know there are lots of people willing to help.

NOTE: Be sure to burn your CD or DVD as an .ISO image, not as a data disk. A data disk won't work.

If the live CD doesn't work then you may have a hardware problem, a bad motherboard for example.

3. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Fiona- That really doesn't sound like a hard drive problem to me. You could try the technique that Virion suggested, or just download and burn BartPE (it has a file manager in it).

But what I would like to know is if after booting to a CD if you can see the CD's desktop (the problem that you indicate sure sounds graphic related to me).

Please get back to us.

M

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Cruelsister is probably right.The symptoms described look to be graphics related.Do you hear the Windows start up sound?Do you have a spare graphics card to try in the pc ? Otherwise any type of "boot cd" will show if this is graphics related.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.