Calling all Trendmicro users..........

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by daddymo3, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daddymo3

daddymo3 Registered Member

In regards to their suite....I have recently read that the firewall is very good and the anti-spyware is also very good. I can get the suite for free from,So it got me to thinking....is it possible to install the program
    without the AV and then throw in a quality AV?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

dono.
    it would be better if you could get trend micro antispyware on its own with a firewall and decent av.
    lodore

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

its a fantastic suite, thats for sure.

but it will use alot of of your systems ram, if this isnt a problem... i recommend it.

the firewall and antispyware are AMAZING! in the 2007 range.

antivirus i think is around the 90% mark, but there are no tests to prove this, i still have the suite on one of 2 pcs, and its never been infected.
    if you can get it for free, at worst... you should get it and at least try it :)

good luck and hope you like.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

woops trend micro lol
    ok never tryed it but its meant to be heavy or at least the first versions of the 2007 version where.
    the firewall ive heard is good but the antiantivirus/trojan isnt as good.
    antispyware is great
    i prefer the separate trend micro antispy thou.
    lodore

5. Arin

Arin Registered Member

The firewall is certainly not the best in class but the antivirus is certainly a very good one. Yes the 2007 version is a bit bloated. Nope, you can't just install the firewall but you can install just the AV part.

6. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

o_O

If the Firewall is poor, which suites have a better one? :doubt:

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

the firewall is one of the better ones, i dont understand that comment.

-----------
    cmon ricky hatton!!!

8. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Interesting that TMIS scores the highest of the AV suites.

9. Arin

Arin Registered Member

@Firefighter

KIS6 if you are looking for a whole package.

@C.S.J

"The firewall is certainly not the best in class" this was my comment.

@midway40

Well its actually strange why people dislike TM or CA as antiviruses even though they provide good protection. But frankely I'm not aware of any tests in which TMIS got the highest point.

10. Firefighter

But TrendMicro's firewall was actually the second among suites just after ZoneAlarm, not BAD at all. :rolleyes:

Maybe just the same reason I'm satisfied with DrWeb as my av despite of those tests. :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  11. midway40

I do not dislike TM, I used it for two years. I was just surprised to see it rank so high because I cannot remember seeing anyone test it before. I would probably be still using it but when I got my satellite internet installed a few months ago I got a free year of FSAV06 from the provider and I liked it so much I bought the '07 suite.

Firefighter, I thought Zonealarm Pro was just the paid version of the FW, not the suite.

EDIT: Yay, this makes me a Regular Poster now, lol.

12. Firefighter

Same firewall as in suite, isn't it?

Best regards.
    Firefighter!

13. midway40

Ok, I see what you mean now. I wasn't looking at it like that :oops:

14. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Free Online Spyware Scan - Trend Micro

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes trends firewall scores very well in leaktests,
    but a firewall should not just be tested on this, and i can safely say trend has one of the better firewalls in the suites, which is strange because they are an av company and as im aware, they use their own firewall.

16. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

Have trendmicro resolved all the issues that appeared in the early days of TMIS07? Foe me it got so bad, that I ended up uninstalling 07, and going back to 06. First there was the conflict with spybot's immunization feature, which caused pcc.scnsrv.exe to use up 97%cpu, then it kept asking for a password that I'd never set to log at logs, change settings, etc. I also had issues with tmproxy.exe crashing, and not restarting itself. The whole time, the panel that popped up from the right side of the main interface kept crashing. For me, the last straw was when the help file wouldn't display anything other than the message 'navigation to this webpage was cancelled". Also I thought that the support was substandard, especially for a paid product - the constant cry was uninstall using pcctool.exe, then re-install. After doing this 4 times, I felt that that wasn't going to be the solution, but they couldn't seem to offer any other...
    Other than those few trifling details, I was really impressed with TMIS07, and felt they had added valuable features to the new version, I would like to try it again, but would like some re-assurance that the bugs are all sorted...

17. bobmitch

bobmitch Registered Member

Go to the Trend Micro site and download the December update...build 1449. The original build was 1329 or something like that and they have just released a third build that addresses many issues.

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/product.asp?productid=32

As you'll notice...the download is slimmed down a bit...still the full package with full install...just packed tighter.

I had many issues with 1329...then they sent me 1429...fixed many but left a few nagging ones behind....1449 seems even better

As long as you still have your serial number...just install normally...

Bob

18. juckjones

juckjones Registered Member

@argus tuft

I had the same experience you had with TMIS07. I am now back to using TMIS06. In fact, I had just renewed my license for it.

@bobmitch

Are the updates for TMIS07 good this time? I haven't visited TrendMIcro for a long time since I gave up on this version.

19. bobmitch

They seem to be. My biggest iissue used to be that any website that had an X in the title, would never load. AbXZone, which is a hardware website for computers always crashed...doesn't now. They have also settled a lot of issues. I find that installing and then removing the Firewall always worked best for me. It had major conflicts with Webroot Spysweeper. Other than that...seems fine. Fast, and responsive.

Bob

20. feddup

feddup Registered Member

IS2007 and spysweeper?

Could I ask the specific isues you encountered with IS2007 and spysweeper? I'm running both as well as AVG antispyware, all real time, and do have a few periodic freezes. I have one PC I surf the web with and, yes, I run a lot of anti malware (paranoid) software on that PC. I'm hoping Trend micro will come out with a newer build then the 1449 Dec. 29th release. IS2007 does seem more problematic than the 2005 or 2006 versions.

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hang on, your running trend 2007 along with spysweeper and avg antimalware, good luck with your machine :D

do you need a customer service number for a new harddrive? *lol*

22. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

All

Maybe this will interest you.
    A statement on a really interesting forum.

1) based on the test from http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-p...sts-results.php
    - KIS 411 has 7450 points,
    - KIS 411 fails the tests BITStester, Breakout, Breakout2, CPILSuite3 (test 3), DNStester, Osfwbypass, Surfer + 6 FPR tests (?/3:cool:

2) KIS 6.0.2.573 passes the following tests:
    BITStester - 125 (Hidden data sending - enabled by default),
    Breakout - 125 (Hidden data sendind - enabled by default),
    Breakout2 - 100 (Starting Internet Browser with parameters - enabled only in Interactive mode),
    CPILSuite3 (test 3) - 100 (Invader(loader) - enabled only in Interactive mode),
    Osfwbypass - 100 (Starting Internet Browser with parameters - enabled only in Interactive mode),
    Surfer - 100 (Starting Internet Browser with parameters - enabled only in Interactive mode),
    + 5 or 6 FPR tests also will be passed now.

So KIS should improve its result by 650+(300-600 points - I am not sure about FPR tests).

In any case KIS will surpass ZoneAlarm & Trend Micro in the result table.

We will consider our 3-rd place as the best possible result because we are not going to fight against specific solutions from Comodo and Jetico (the only difference will be in the default settings - we are sure that our settings is the best balance for 95% of Internet users).

23. juckjones

juckjones Registered Member

It seems that even with the Dec. 29 update, there are still a lot of fixing to do with TMIS07. Maybe I'll still lie low for awhile and in the meantime go on using my old reliable TMIS06. TrendMicro may come up with newer versions of the product.

24. bobmitch

Fedup

The issue I had with IS2007 Firewall and Spysweeper...my machine would take two to three minutes to get into XP from the Welcome screen. Sometimes longer. Seems that Spysweeper and Firewall fought to see who would prevail...and mostly Spysweeper would win. Once I uninstalled Firewall...I got into Windows around 20-30 seconds after Welcome screen and everything loaded

Bob

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

remove spysweeper completly and you will notice a big improvment overall, including boot time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.