Cable speed?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SG1, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Taken about 6 hrs. to download a movie, from Amazon; top speed is about 912kbps. This is ridiculous; have read that some say "future of movies is digital/download," etc.

Geez, I thought cable modems were fast? This feels like a new Ice Age, in the time it takes... Is this really "about as good as it gets?" Yuck.

Thanks, for ideas-things to check, to speed it up a bit.

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Administrator

You may be constrained by the speed limits imposed on your account level, ISP hardware, and/or local system loading. This is where I would look first - fundamental constraints that no level of tweaking on your end will resolve - and I'd do that by contacting your provider support group.

Blue

3. swami

swami Registered Member

Well, it all depends on your internet speed. Seems you've got 1meg connection. With money you can buy more speed. Contact your ISP.

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

It really does all depend on your service level. Most people think there is one speed and that's it. I have Cox Communications and get their Premier with PowerBoost Package. I routinely get the advertised speed (10-20mps). I just checked and right now I am getting 15 Megs (15 Megabits Per Second). I pay $49.99 for the package because I have Cox phone and television. Really, there's no difference after about 4-5 megs except in actually downloading large files (such as movies) and watching streaming video. I don't do online gaming, but it obviously would blaze for that. But for just surfing - there really isn't much difference over that magical 4-5 megs. But, it took you six hours for your movie download....I could grab it with my Cox powerboost in 10-20 minutes. Watching video online - I no longer ever see the word "buffering." :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.