CA eTrust EZ antivirus..w/ internet suite what should I disable?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sweater, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    When I install ca eTrust EZ antivirus i found out that a tray icon with their Internet Security Suite was also running. I have already manage to disable this tray icon using autorun of sysinternals.com. But i doubt that there's some other things that are always running together with their antivirus. I only want their antivirus and don't like to have those other things running in the background. :blink: :cautious:

What should I disable using autorun? so that only the eTrust antivirus is running and not the other things around of their Internet Security Suite? :rolleyes: o_O

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Looks like you downloaded the wrong product!
    Like most Security Suites, you can carry out a custom install or you should be able to disable the extra modules from within the main program.

But personally if you now want only the AV, I would uninstall the Suite, reboot, use a good registry Cleaner, then download and install only eTrust EZ Antivirus.

3. cdr

cdr Registered Member

Sweater and Blackcat,
    Some time ago, I purchased and installed only CA anti-spam program. Well, the next time I booted up the computer, the CA Internet Security Suite icon was in the systray! I, also, did not download the Suite. I had to use WinPatrol to disable or remove the program that loads the Security Suite control center, if you will. I think this is a "tactic," shall we say, to get you to progressively purchase more of the modules, until you have the complete Security Suite! If I remember correctly, the CA control center indicated something like the anti-spam module is loaded and running, but all the other modules are not enabled. If you disable/remove the CA security suite control center program, you will just have the a/v or whatever module running. I no longer have this on my comuter, so I can't really give you specifics about what to disable. But if you look in the list of startup programs, you should be able to spot the "control center" program that is separate from the anti-virus program. I hope this helps.
    Reading back through your post, Sweater, I see that you have already disabled the tray icon, so maybe this post won't help you very much. But, at least it shows that finding the CA Security Suite icon unexpectedly show up in the systray happens to others, too.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Thanks cdr for the additional information ;)

5. richo

richo Registered Member

A while ago CA changed the program from a stand alone AV to EZ Antivirus being part of a suite. I agree that if you only want the AV, you don't need the "shell' of the suite. The solution is to download the older version from the CA ftp site which will update to the new engine, or download VET AV from the same ftp site which is essentially the same as the stand alone AV, but seems to be a more recent product. All these should work with your licence number.

6. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

Or...
    Disable the Security Center in Windows Services.
    and also, go to Star/Run/msconfig/startup and uncheck 'caiss'... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.