CA Buys Anti-Spyware Vendor

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Computer Associates International Inc. on Monday acquired PestPatrol Inc., one of the original anti-spyware vendors, for an undisclosed sum.

The purchase is an interesting one for CA, whose focus in the security market has been mainly in the security management area. But CA officials said many of their large enterprise customers had become more and more concerned about the presence of spyware on their corporate networks and were looking for an enterprise-class answer to the problem. CA began looking for a company that fit the bill.

eWeek

More

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  2. dread

dread Registered Member

Do what. What a load of ******** crap. Thats *********** bunch ************ why did pp let ********* by them out.************************************* .well you can see i dont like this.*****************************************

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

nooooooooooooooo...ya think, LOL.... :D
    I gather you did not rejoice at the news then dread?

So, I wonder what direction it's going to take now.
    A lot of people are probably wondering the same thing. Time will tell. :doubt:

Thanks for the newsworthy link once again Ron. ;)

TAS

4. RockSlide

RockSlide Guest

I can't see how Pest Patrol could get much worse than it already is. All of us Pest Patrol users will just have to switch to TDS-3 or TrojanHunter if it does get any worse, which doesn't seem like too bad of an idea anyway. :)

5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures of the Wild,
    Wow! :eek: Another company that is going to try to mix and match and instead of building something of their own with inhouse smarts and taylor it to their software. They are going to do it the Symantec way. Buy it and make it worse then it was before. I do not know much about Pest Patrol except my research indicates it is not that good. Years ago I decided to go with Adaware Plus and BoClean, instead of Pest Patrol. I don't know fellow creatures, but it does not sound good to me. Unless you are a stakeholder in Pest Patrol and in that case you are now in the $$$$. Unfortunantly it always seems to come down to that. :( :p . Oh yea, another fine example: Checkpoint's purchase of Zone Labs. :'(

Thanks for the Business news flash. I wonder how that got past me. :doubt:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  6. dread

dread Registered Member

TDS-3 cannot detect all pestpatrol can. If I wanted a standalone trojan program yes I would get TDS-3.
    But I got pestpatrol for all things, for a wide range of of stuff. THey probally gonna screw it over and remove that wide range of pest or not even offer it as a stand alone product which is **************************************.
    Nothing left after pestpatrol to detect the wide range of pest execpt for them freaking fakes http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm, I believe some of them was pp ripoffs.
    Wonder what they gonna do now lol actually not make a fake anymore lol. This is bad not good I dont like or agree with this, I think they will screw up pp or cut it and not be able to get it standalone which is stupid, mistake mistake mistake mistake fff***************************************************

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2004
  7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Users of @Guard are still mad at the buyout of the program by Symantec.
    We know what happened to that program-------- :(

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

look what happened to RAV

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I was there! :eek:

10. meneer

meneer Registered Member

11. street talk

street talk Guest

I actually feel sorry for CA , picking up pest patrol . It has a nice look / and and excellent Library on all pests however it really, over the years has had a rocky road with users , with false positives and lack of forum support / and update issues in the past . Maybe the added support of CA may inject new impulse . / In fairness to CA they have a tidy free anti virus / firewall .

12. Ruffian

Ruffian Guest

Like many I wonder if this really matters. Pest Patrol can't get worse.
    In fact, CA might even fact force the people in Pest Patrol to improve. Their corporate customers surely will not appreciate millions of new false positives every week. It should be as rock solid as Etrust

I wonder which one Dread is. An employee or a shareholder :p

13. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Stomp Inc. makers of "BackUPMyPC" are selling Spyware Exterminator. This program is actually PestPatrol. I downloaded the trial version of SpywareE' and it looked exactly like PP. I have "BackUpMyPc" & I asked there tech. & he said it was the same program.

14. dread

dread Registered Member

Lol well i see what one company is gonna do with thier fake pp. Bet all them fakes would be in trouble if spybot and adaware changed companies. I emailed them asking if I need to even renew pp anymore and what is gonna happen to pp now. Dont know if ca is gonna intergrate it or still have it for a stand alone app.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.