c:\FAUXVIRUS\carney_ride.exe

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Oswald2, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oswald2

Oswald2 Registered Member

I was watching my wife's laptop (Windows XP SP2) run through Norton's scan a couple of days ago, I saw it take a long time to scan a file c:\FAUXVIRUS\carney_ride.exe, and I thought that it was a peculiar path and file name. Norton's finished and reported that it found nothing. I tried to do research on this file, but only found this and this. I had a copy of Prevx on the network share, so I ran it, and Prevx didn't find anything. So I came here and started with the "General Cleaning Instructions." Everything goes fine until I get to step 18 (running AdAware under safe mode), and I get the following message "Exception EAccessViolation in module Ad-Aware2007.exe at 001c852c. Access violation at address 005c852c in module 'Ad-Aware2007.exe'. Read of address 00000414."

What's up with that?

2. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

According to the 2nd link you posted this file is a rootkit. This means that this infection is hard to detect and remove because it may be hidden from anti-virus software. It is unlikely Ad-Aware will remove it so you can skip that step.

I suggest:

Scan the file using Jotti or Virus Total.

Now find a virus scanner on the list that detects it properly. It should say something like rootkit.haxdoor. You need to temporarily remove Norton and install a different anti-virus that will detect the infection successfully.

Go to the website of that antivirus company and download a free trial of their software. Install, Update and run a full system scan. The infection should be removed.

Let me know how you go!

This is a good way to remove a malware because anti-virus companies often have specialized cleaning methods to remove a specific type of malware.

EDITED: Further Information

3. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

4. Chato

Chato Registered Member

Here you will find a discussion of the different Haxdoor-Variants. All discussed Variants can be fixed with the HaxFix-tool. You can download this tool from this website.

Chato

5. Oswald2

Thanks for the heads up there regarding that software. How can I determine exactly what variant I have based on that post you referenced? Are those O20 lines from HijackThis? Do I have to confirm that this is an actual Haxdoor infection before using the tool referenced in that post?

6. Oswald2

Thanks for the tips. I ran both with no detections.

7. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

To verify if carney_ride.exe is really malicious, email it to Kaspersky Labs for analysis. Put the file in a password-protected zip and email it to:

newvirus@kaspersky.com

Please include the password in the email body. In the mean time do not delete carney_ride.exe.

thanatos

8. Oswald2

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't mention the fact that, much like the people in the links I posted, I too cannot see the file when I look for it. I only see the path and file name come by it when I watch Norton's scan. If I try to find it myself, I cannot find the directory or file.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Use IceSword,s file explorer to find the file.

Also u can boot from a linux CD to make sure that the file really exists.

10. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Boot up a live CD and get the file onto a usb stick.

11. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Since scanning Oswald, have you checked for the file in quarantine?
    Advice; Go get help from the expert's - http://z13.invisionfree.com/BFC_Computer_Help/index.php?showtopic=323

Should you choose to omit any of the suggested step's prior to post, let the folk's there know. ;)

*PS - System restore enabled? Disable, reboot, re-enable. Re-scan before proceeding.

GF

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  12. thanatos_theos

Maybe the folder FAUXVIRUS containing carney_ride.exe is hidden. Do this.

thanatos

13. Oswald2

Thanks for the idea. Booted in Knoppix and it's not there. So, does that mean it's not there?

14. Oswald2

Does anyone know if Knoppix Linux pays attention to any hidden Windows file attributes?

As an aside: Last year I had a particularly nasty piece of malware on a computer at work. The user had clicked on something they shouldn't and there was something Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition would detect but not remove or quarantine. I could see it when booted in XP, but it wouldn't let me delete it. When booted in safe mode or from a live Linux CD, the file and directory were gone. I finally deleted the file using some utility (FileAssassin?) and that did it. For that file, I could see it but not delete it. For the current situation, I can't even see it. I wouldn't even have known it was there except Norton's spent several minutes scanning it and I could see it in the progress screen where Norton's lists the current item being scanned.

15. Oswald2

I just did. I don't see it in there, but there does seem to be a Haxdoor infection from May of 2007. Perhaps what I'm seeing are the remnants of an old infection that wasn't completely removed by Norton's?

How are they exactly experts? I've gotten pretty good response here at Wilders in the past and also at CastleCops.

Yes, I disabled System Restore at the start of the process. It was step 11 of the General Cleaning Instructions. I only posted here when I got stuck when AdAware 2007 will not run while in Safe Mode.

16. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

What I'm saying is if you're unsure as to the result's you've received running these various scanner's, my suggestion is to post an hjt if you haven't already done so. BFC? Just another site accepting logfile's, perhap's not as busy as CC's. Should you feel someone here can help you out with those error's, I wish you the best of luck.

GF

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Now I am not sure.o_O Do u have NTFS or FAT32. Some linux distros might not read NTFS. I have Ubuntu that has NTFS support. I am no expert but I think if live CD can read NTFS, it will never miss windows files.

Let,s ask Mrkvonic!

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can u do one thing more? Download latest gmer beta from here.

http://www2.gmer.net/beta/

Download IceSword and RootKit UnHooker( RKU).

Use file explorer of gmer and IceSword to see if there is FAUXVIRUS\carney_ride.exe in C:\. Also run a hidden file scan with RKU.

Do u still see this file in symantec scan BTW?

If u find the file by any of these utilities, don,t forget to grab a copy of it brfore deleting!

16.56.38- 76.jpg
    16.45.26- 74.jpg
    16.52.10- 75.jpg

19. Oswald2

Hmmm. As a test, I ran gmer.exe on my own computer just to see what it would do and when I clicked on 'scan,' I got "The exception uknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x72013668." :eek:

Should I try the non-beta?

20. Oswald2

Now that's a problem, too. It takes many minutes to scan the drive, and I don't know when it will pop up among all those files that are listed. :mad: So at this point, I don't know if Norton's still finds it when it scans.

21. Oswald2

gmer beta crashes when I run it.

gmer 1.0.13 does not have a files tab.

Rootkit Unhooker does not reveal the file or path, and neither does IceSword.

22. thanatos_theos

Use this application. Move carney_ride.exe to a different folder (Eg: C:\New Folder) then zip that folder. Using your archiver view the contents of the zip. I am not sure if this will work though.

thanatos

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

If it can,t see the file, it can,t move!

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Oswald2! Seems the file is not there. But U can never be sure.

I will suggest u to post at sysinternals forums.

25. thanatos_theos

He will type the path of the file (C:\FAUXVIRUS\carney_ride.exe) to be moved, not browse it. There is no harm in trying.

thanatos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.