"C" drive filling up(win7 64bit)!

Discussion in 'hardware' started by CreepyKangaroo, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CreepyKangaroo

CreepyKangaroo Registered Member

I need to get a handle on disk space usage on my "C" drive. I install new softwares every now an then but when i uninstall it i usually end up with 200 to 600MB short depending on the size and type of the application! I don't want the applications i have uninstalled to occupy my disk space! Even after I delete system restore points and clean some of the temp file locations and browser caches I always end up a few MBs short. What is taking up these spaces? Is there no way to get those spaces back?

Windows 7 64bit...
    KIS 2010...

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

3. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

IOBIT Advance System Care Free or Pro under Ults has Disk Explorer tool you can scan the drive to see what's on here, you can move files, remove and etc..

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Most likely the program you installed did a poor job of cleaning up after itself when you uninstalled it. A very common problem and, IMO, a sign of lousy programming. Many uninstall routines simply remove the links in the Registry and delete a couple icons from the desktop and start menu, but then leave all the actually folders and files in place. Not cool!

After you uninstall the program in the normal way (via Control Panel), use Windows Explorer to hunt around your drive and look for folders from the program left behind, then delete them. If unsure that deleting is safe, rename the top folder instead. I general simply append the folder name with the date and the word delete so next time I see it, I can easily tell how long it has been sitting there. If the folder (or files within) is not needed, you will see no problems. If there is a problem, you will get a file not found error, so you simply rename the folder back.

So I would rename the folder from "foldername" to "foldername-4-29-2010-delete". I do the same thing for files I am not sure are safe to delete. I will rename: filename.abc to filename.abc-4-29-2010-delete and let it sit for a few days of normal computer use and see if anything breaks.

You might want to use a good crud cleaner like CCleaner, or Windows own and excellent cleaner, Disk Cleanup - which is capable of trimming down the System Restore points too.

5. CreepyKangaroo

Thanks for all the help guys. :)

I have actually found the one big reason why my "C" drive is filling up! It's related to KIS 2010! You see, where I live there are power outages from time to time and apparently KIS constantly uses some ".temp" files in this directory [ C:\Users\All Users\Kaspersky Lab\AVP9\Bases\Cache ] and when pc is restarted after power outages the files in that directory are created all over again but the previous files do not get deleted. I was able to safely delete 4.8 Gigs of totally useless temp files!!! There are some inquiries about this problem in Kaspersky's forum and that is how I learned how to fix it!

@Bill Bright~> Thanks, That is a good idea to keep track of things! Also, I use CCleaner quite regularly. But is there any other software that can do the cleaning job much more thoroughly? I am a new user to windows 7 and to 64bit as well and still trying to get tighter grip on things. I made my jump from xpsp3. That's why I don't really know which software would best suit the system.

Any recommendationso_O

6. Bill_Bright

Did you try Windows own Disk Cleanup? Personally, I am leery of getting too aggressive at cleaning. If disk space is that critical, it is time to buy more.

7. CreepyKangaroo

Yes I use it regularly and it's good. I have enough free space in "C" drive(for now). But it will gradually fill up no matter what. I'm just interested in exploring further options. :)

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

If you don't use Hibernation you can turn it off and save disk space equal to the amount of ram.

Enable/Disable Hibernate

9. Bill_Bright

That is true, and keeping the drive tidy and clean of clutter - by that I mean temporary files - is essential. But if this is also your data storage drive, and you expect it to run out space, I would urge you to buy another drive and move all your documents, temp files, and whatever else you are saving to the new drive, and leave C or big portion for Windows.

10. BJStone

BJStone Registered Member

I use Revo Uninstaller Pro to install and uninstall every piece of software, that takes care of it; furthermore I use Shadow Protect Desktop Edition to image the system weekly and when doing MS updates. This combo works like a charm.
    (FWIW: Revo also has a not Pro version which is free. However, I deemed it that good that I ordered the Pro version. You can see the differences between the two on their site: http://www.revouninstaller.com/index.html

11. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Both Glary Utls and IOBIT Advance System Care Free or Pro version work best. I run the Glary first then ASC. Everything else is so/so. MSW tools are also provided just have quicker access.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.