Byteverify virus and updated VM

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Digiti, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digiti

Digiti Registered Member

I get this infection quite often in spite of my using an updated MS virtual machine and a fully patched system. I have disabled this virtual machine in I.E. in favor of Sun Java's latest plug in. I have SpywareBlaster 3.1, Spyware Guard, Spy bot Search and Destroy, Ad aware and Spy ware Sweeper. My security settings for I.E. 6 are set optimally. The virus evidently can not activate its payload because of the preceding? I can remove it by using NAV 2003 in safe mode and deleting restore points. How can I prevent reinfection? I am using WinXP Sp1. Thanks.

2. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Byteverify isn't an actual virus it is an exploit that can be spread/transmitted by maliciously crafted applets on a web page.

Your antivirus will warn you every time you visit a page with that exploit in the page and it will remain in your temp internet files until you manually clean them as well as in the java cache files in both sun and MS java

provided you have updated you are protected and it shouldn't infect you though it will appear in the files mentioned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.