Bye-bye trolls? Blizzard forums to use real names

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Bye-bye trolls? Blizzard forums to use real names.

-- Tom

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

There is a thread on this over at dslreports security forum. The overwhelming opinion is that using real names doesn't always help and that it can often hurt. That's certainly how I feel...

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I've been following this RealID bull since the idea was being thrown around prior to the last patch. I've recently quit World of Warcraft, with RealID being one of the main factors. RealID has absolutely no privacy controls whatsoever. If you add a friend to your RealID list, not only can said friend see your real name and when you are on, but anyone that friend adds to their own list as well.

To say RealID alone isn't a popular idea is a huge understatement. And now, they demand players use their real names in an online forum that is so well-known for jerks and flame wars that, if one day goes by where there is neither one, it feels like something is wrong? Oh, and then Blizzard has the balls to say, after they got a taste of what is coming, that company employees are exempt?

They quickly came back and said that employees DO have to use their real names now, but the damage was done. An employee quickly was harassed and maps to his home were posted along with other personal information. The same will happen to players, if not worse. I've played the game for 5 years, there ARE people in that game crazy enough to do very bad things over a game. Congratulations, Blizzard, if someone gets hurt, you're screwed.

This isn't the end of trolls, this just gave them a green light, that is, if the forums even survive this debacle. With having the option to either use your real name to post or not post at all, it's more likely Blizzard just killed their own forums.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I'm not into gaming and couldn't tell a World of Warcraft from a War of Craftworld. Is there a reason the official forums are so important? Won't this requirement only move the players to an "unofficial" forum? Are they somehow tied together? I'm from an era of Monopoly, Scrabble and such, I'm clueless to this online gaming.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The official forums are the only place players have any true contact with Blizzard outside of phone calls and email. It's where outages, development, tech support and feedback are all discussed, along with discussions on game play with some of the top players in the world. That being said, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the official forums are barely moderated, and flame wars are sadly the norm instead of the rarity. So, one could argue that Blizzard themselves are to blame for even needing to think about making players use real names.

Knowing the general player attitude from playing for 5 years, it will blow over eventually and people will still play. World of Warcraft players are a strange sort, they complain and scream, and, at the beginning of each month, still hand over their 15 dollars. However, this time, real damage has been done because it's no longer just an aspect of game play that isn't liked, real lives are being affected, and, the very real and already proven possibility for people to be targeted.

The official forums will hurt, and near-dead unofficial forums like WorldofWar.net will find new life. MMO-Champion will also see a dramatic increase in members/traffic due to this. On another note, I expect to see the now everywhere "Sign in with Facebook" button very soon there.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

8. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I also feel the same.
    Bo

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I was just about to post this. This was one case where almost all the players were on the same page. With a company like Blizzard, that's the only way to get them to listen. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm proud of World of Warcraft players for standing together...now excuse me a moment, I need to go check if Hell still has ice.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.