Bye bye NOD32...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by A884126, Nov 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A884126

A884126 Registered Member

Just a little post to say I am very disappointed with NOD32 that I really thought being one the best kind.
    I use NOD32 since 8 months (NAV 2004 was my previous app), and last week I made some Online Virus scans.
    Panda dected 5 viruses, RAV 3 and BitDefender also 3! Then I launched back NOD32 which finally dected 3 viruses. As it is running in the background with a full scan every week I am wondering how did I get these viruses. Especially they were in old files in my archive disk....
    As I never had this concern with NAV, I deceided to move to their latest version 2005.
    Time will tell...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I have used Nod32 for over 2 years and have never found what you are seeing.

Do you have the latest version of Nod32 2.12.3?

Do you have Nod32 fully tweaked? https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

The older versions of Nod32 would allow a download of a zipped Virus or Trojan, however upon execution AMON would always spring into action.

The latest versions stop most problems at the front door, and should something slip past, AMON is there to protect.

I wish you all the very best with your new choice...

Cheers :D

3. A884126

Yes I used their latest version and features were on max protection.
    Anyway when I find a virus on my machine I got hard time to still trust the AV I am using. That's also why I left AVP (KAV) which did not stop viruses in my mail box.

Cheers

4. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

You have strange things, mate. Virusses not found but KAV and NOD32.... You must try to see if you can enter the Guiness Book of Records ;)

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Interesting, I saw here another post in which a user complained NAV didn't detect a couple of trojans NOD32 did.

No AV vendor will ever guarantee 100% detection of every single piece of malware in the world. However, NOD32 exploits a superb advanced heuristics thansk to which NOD32 has detected thousands of not yet known viruses, worms and trojans including the latest Bagle threats without updating.

6. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

My sister's NAV2004 subscription expired last week and before she renewed it I suggested she trialed NOD32. Not knowing how to use it properly she went ahead and conducted a full scan before she downloaded latest virus signatures and it found a couple of trojans and three worms - some were sitting in her son's Outlook mailbox. She didn't make a note of what they were called. She rang me and I told her to update the signatures and rescan, which she did and it found yet another worm.

Since having trouble in the past with virus and spyware problems she has been very thorough in making sure that live update has run and doing a full weekly scan. But it seems NAV still missed 4 worms and 2 trojans on her PC.

I think she will be ditching NAV and will buy NOD32.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  7. quicko

quicko Registered Member

Well, I don't want to defend NOD32, but a few weeks ago I replaced Symantec Antivirus Enterprise Edition with NOD32 Enterprise Edition.
    NOD32 found out 26 viruses/trojan that Symantec had missed...

8. NetTraveler

NetTraveler Registered Member

I don't want to attack Norton but I never had more viruses that sliped trough than with that program.. I was updating definitions almost daily. :(

9. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

This topic is really funny...Well i do attack Norton as being the crappiest Av i had ever for these reasons:

1-It was set up in my computer...i didnt ask for it...all product that comes preinstalled in computers is nasty for me.

2-It slowed my pc tremendosly...when i got rid off it i found my computer a lot more lighty and fast.

3-It didnt detect 5 virus that Avast dectected when i switch from NAV to Avast. Tx Avast. Even free AV are better.

4-I had tones of problems to uninstalled the garbagge that Norton left in computers. He just dont wanted to go! Norton should respect freedom of choice.

5-i found out NOD32...hehe...just comparing is an offense.

;)

P.S. I forgot these:

6-The updates are eternal...never ends the update...and when i had Nav updates were only once a week

7-The scans are really slow.

Well thats it.

10. A884126

Everyone got its own experience and then opinion.
    Respect is the key.

Cheers

11. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

Sorry if you feel attacked by me...but im not ag. you im ag. Norton coz Norton is ag. its users by using barely legal actions and abusing of its power in the market.

Regards.

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Guys,

This discussion is serving no purpose now. Everyone is entitled to use whatever software they desire.
    Since this is the NOD support forum, let's try to keep the discussions to questions on the use of NOD32.

Any help is appreciated.

13. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

Hi,
    Just for the record, during yesterday I was infected a with a spyware/trojan bundle. It happened because I started an executable file from an untrusted source, depending solely on my resident NAV scanner. NAV stayed complete silent while several different malwares was downloaded and started by each other. During cleaning the infection with more competent softwares, I archived most of the malwares, and submitted them to an online scanner service at http://www.virustotal.com/xhtml/index_en.html

Here are the results.
    1. 180 Solutions - msbb.exe
    2. BookedSpace - polall1m.exe
    3. optimize.exe
    4. powerscan.exe
    5. VX2 - alcem.exe

BitDefender.... + ...... + ..... + ..... + ...... +
    ClamWin ....... + ...... + ..... + ..... + ...... +
    eTrust-Iris.... - ...... - ..... - ..... - ...... -
    F-Prot ........ - ...... + ..... + ..... - ...... +
    Kaspersky ..... - ...... + ..... + ..... - ...... +
    NOD ........... - ...... - ..... - ..... - ...... +
    Norman ........ + ...... + ..... - ..... - ...... +
    Panda ......... + ...... + ..... + ..... + ...... +
    Sybary ........ + ...... + ..... + ..... - ...... +
    Symantec ...... - ...... - ..... - ..... - ...... -

All virus definitions were the newest. Note that the test set is very small, so you should be carefull with conclusions.
    Before you ask, the VirusTotal site submitted the samples to all of these vendors, and I submited them to DiamondCS too. I will also try with the same samples later to see if any of them updated the definitions.
    -hojtsy-

Edit: WARNING: the VirusTotal site uses only a limited database of some softwares.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
  14. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

report for BookedSpace
    Edit: WARNING: the VirusTotal site uses only a limited database of some softwares.

Attached Files:

15. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

report for optimize.exe

Attached Files:

16. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

report for powerscan.exe

Attached Files:

17. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

report for alchem.exe

Attached Files:

18. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

From a lot of packages they used an old version. Strange.

19. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's not a good idea to include results from online scanners here. Please bear in mind that NOD32 for Linux used by online scanners doesn't include an option for detection of potentially dangerous applications which includes adware, too. Should the discussion on detection capabilities of various AV programs continue here, I suggest to move it to another thread.

20. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

I still have the malware files. I am ready to submit them to any submission service/site/person/whatever where I can test them against NOD in it's full power, and get a full report of what NOD detected.

I asked the same from Ronjor and he just did it.
    -hojtsy-

21. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

22. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Sp2 isn't a good advice to everyone. I've tried sp2 in my WinXP Home Finnish version. Opening my PC took about a half an hour, still everything seems to be halted. Unable to remove correctly. Have to reinstall the whole WinXP Home again.

One of the biggest PC-vendors in Finland doesn't recommend to install that sp2 at all, also the same with one of the biggest ADSL broadband suplier's in here too!

Let's wait more about the GOOD news of that sp2 first.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

23. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Norton is not just heavy for your system, expensive and used to update only in wednesday. As I don´t use it for a long time, why am I worried about it ?
    If today I got the best, I´m sure I´ll never suffer again with NAV.

Do you know what is you see more than 30 computers, with the exclusion directory for scanning, full of virus ?
    :D

I know it, and I´m sure these days won´t get back again :D

Best Regards,

DonKid.

24. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

Shouldn't this topic be in the NOD32 Forum?

25. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

No

it was moved from NOD forum because it turned into a general antivirus discussion & not a NOD "support" issue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.