Buying Windows XP possible?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Is it still possible to buy Windows XP Home edition online from anywhere legally?

Thanks

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks a lot. Is it full version? I mean not OEM. Also can I buy via credit card to get a serial in e-mail while I am living in in Saudi Arabia.

Thanks

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Just saw it,s OEM. I can,t install it in a virtual machine. :mad:

5. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Why can't you install in vm? It poses no problem that I know of. When I was making my wifes unattended dvd, I installed it in vm many many times. It came with a laptop, and when the laptop went south, the OS was going onto a new desktop. Like I said, I installed it many times until the sequence was exactly the way I wanted, then made a dvd and used it on her desktop. Now I don't need the vm version anymore because I have the .iso the way I want it.

Of course, lol, that was back when they actually used to GIVE the disc with the computer instead of just an image on a hdd partition.

Sul.

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The system builders edition is a full version, OEM or not.. It is just the OS only no BS software added.

bigc

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

@bigc73542
    @Sully

Thanks for your replies. I understand that it,s a full version and technically there is no problem in installing it in a VM. But as I know OEM version EULA is tied to ur mother board. I am not sure then I can install it in a VM or not?
    What if I uninstall my VM software, or delete the XP VM machine? Can I use the XP again on some other VM software or a new VM machine?

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Oh. I used to know some bits and pieces about that but long gone now. I remember something about OEM being tied, but you will buy an OEM brand new that is surplus, so you won't get one with one of those setupp.ini files that you are speaking of. At least the ones I have bought off newegg were very generically xp oem. There is a place to check all those different codes out, shows you all the info you need, something with dj and lounge or lizard in the address. That is where you can see exactly what kind of OEM type the media is. I have had to call in after too much testing to get oem versions reactivated, and never even been asked about it at all.

Sul.

10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Yes, it has changed somewhat in the last couple years but I believe it holds most of the same info it used to. There used to be a link to a couple sites that had a little more info on the setupp.ini file as well as some trick for 2k/xp installs. Djlizard is the correct form though.

Sul.

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Technically the OEM license is tied to both the hardware it came one, and the purchaser of the machine. So technically using it any other way would mean it's a license violation.

I don't believe that's changed.

Pete

13. Sully

Sully Registered Member

@Pete

If this is so, do you know why excess OEM licenses are allowed to be sold on the likes of Newegg? I beleive (if my memory is not completely mush) that when I bought them from Newegg I had to make certain hardware purchase as well, either a mobo or hdd I can't remember. Would that not make it my machine with me as the vendor since these licenses are generic OEM not tied to a particular vendor?

Sul.

14. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Sully, when I bought XP Home years ago from NewEgg, it stated that I also had to buy a hardware piece with it. But it did not say what kind of hardware so I also bought a $1 IDE cable and they happily sold the OEM XP to me.

When I purchased Vista from them a couple of years ago, they had no mention of having to purchase anything extra. I wondered at the time how they could do it but since it did not affect me I just shrugged it off.

15. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

What you're thinking of are systems pre-installed on computers from the Big Boys, like HP, Dell, Acer, etc.

Microsoft has OEM system builder OSs which are basically identical to the non-OEM, only you get no support, which is why they are much cheaper. In the States they enforce the purchase-with-hardware requirement, so people buy an ethernet cable or a CPU cooler to fulfill this, as Sully and Midway pointed out. In Germany, for example, the courts ruled that it's legal to sell system builder OSs without hardware, so anyone can buy them without any additional purchases.

16. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Just out of curiosity, What is the main difference between OEM Version and the One that comes in Box ...

I know the OEM comes installed with a new PC, and the Box Version (often referred as Normal Xp) is kind of expensive on pocket. :D

17. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Technically, most every file is the same. However, setupp.ini contains different strings which represent the product type and there are either 7 or 11 files in total which I have found can dictate the version of pro or home. For example, if you use these specific files, you can turn Pro Corp into Pro Retail. The difference of course lies in the key that you enter. A retail key won't be accepted into OEM, and vice-versa. These are the technical details I know for fact. Funny as it is, it is possible to make xp home retail/oem into xp home corporate. I don't know what good it is, but it can be done. Of course, modifying the source to a different version (oem to retail, pro to retail) does one no good without a legitimate key to activate it with. But it is still interesting stuff to play with.

I also know there is some to-do with the level of support you get from M$. I believe OEM products a lot of stuff is handed over to the manufacturer to handle rather than M$, but not sure to what degree.

Sul.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

1- OEM must be bought with some hardware( not must in all countries I guess)
    2- OEM licenece is tried to ur PC( Mobo) where u install it first time. Once u install it, u can,t put it on other PC( motherboard). If u get a new PC or even change ur motherboard, u need a new window.
    3- No support by MS except in activation issues.

19. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Thnsk for the info,that was new to me,,,although a layman man such as
    me, wouldn't understand much about what a setup.ini. Although i know
    its a install script to control certain elements of Installation.
    Nevertheless the Core program/application remains the same. (ie., in Pro/Home/Corp)
    I still think that is a Low-level Marketing strategy on the part of MS.
    Really sad considering , when the Users used to get Win98 CD when purchasing a new PC.

Does Winxp Corporate Edition really Exist. Google n u'll find no topic on Corporate Edition.:D

20. Johnny123

2- That's only for some of the computers from large suppliers like HP, Dell, etc. They get special licenses from Microsoft because they are huge companies and there is also no need for activation. There are OEM system builder versions that you can install on any computer you want to, these have nothing to do with the ones tied to the motherboard. I have an OEM version of XP that I've had on four different computers. This is what the white-box shops also sell.

3- That's the only noticable difference from the big box version that costs twice as much (or more).

21. Johnny123

Corporate edition is what a lot of people call it, but officially it doesn't exist under that name. Volume license is what Microsoft calls it, or VLK, volume license key. At least that's what I see in the TechNet downloads.

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

No, as I know any OEM version is tied to Mobo. U can install it on any PC but once installed u can,t transfer it to other with same key.

23. Johnny123

Please note this part of my posting: I have an OEM version of XP that I've had on four different computers. As a matter of fact, it's been in four computers and five different mobos because I changed the mobo in one of the machines. I didn't even have to call on the phone. My product ID looks like this: XXXXX-OEM-XXXXXXX-XXXXX

The OEM System Builder OSs are not the same thing as the ones you get from the big companies like HP, Dell, etc.

24. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Thank you for the INFO. I m relieved now.

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, can you explain it a little more. As I see on internet, amazon etc have OEM Windows CDs but all of them are system builders versions. I guess all OEMs are actually system builder versions.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.