Buying new computer - want advice

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ohblu, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

Bill ! , you are not exactly young are you... "The old days" where :
    "motherboards were without sound and Ethernet" and "you had to strap or jumper pins to tell the board how much RAM you had installed" or "you had to set jumpers to set bus speeds" that is not exactly "yester-year" is it...... (I remember those days too , I even got boards like that laying around still)
    Not to argue with all your other sub-arguments, cause you are obviously were experienced, but Bill ! , things has never been as bad as now with respect to emerging technologies and technologies that is already on the market but has not yet been fully implemented all the way around...
    We are not just up against Moore's law, we are also up against the fact that as societies industrialize even further then the rate at which new tech emerges , and the number of tech companies and technologies that has to fight for customers has increased.
    So with all due respect to all your obvious experience and knowledge then you are not right on this one. Sorry....

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

No, sorry, but it is you who are wrong. We did not start out with DDR, or DDR2 - there was SDRAM before that and DRAM before that. We did not start out with USB2.0 - in fact we did not start out with USB at all. We did not start out with SATA 6. Just a few years ago, there was no SATA at all. We did not start out with PCIe. Before that there was AGP, then before that only PCI. We did not start out with 1Gb Ethernet, or 100Mb Ethernet, or even Ethernet for that matter - remember token ring? We did not start out with 4 cores or even 2 cores. So I say again, there have always been new technologies just around the corner - ever since the invention of the transistor - if not before.

And you are not entirely right either about the number of tech companies. The number of PC makers has DECREASED dramatically as the big boys have gobbled up the competition or pushed them out of business. eMachines was bought out by Gateway which was then bought out by Acer. HP took over Compaq. Crucial is owned by Micron. There are really only about 4 or 5 PSU makers but dozens of companies simply rebrand them under their name.

Yesteryear? There are still 10 year old motherboards in use today and even a 5 year old board is ancient technology for some folks. I don't have to be old to remember the pre-Windows days. Just because I have been working with computers since the mid 70's simply means I probably know what I am talking about when it comes to the ever marching advances in technologies.

3. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

Bill , since you don't seem to want to listen to my point we can keep on argueing over this like a couple of small school children for ever.
    You are too "clever" to listen or to try to understand - your problem.
    You are not the only one "not young" around here....
    Have it your way ! - "no chip off me" - or whatever the expression is....

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

With all due respect, I listened to you very carefully. I also pay attention to history, and emerging technologies.

Have a good day and Happy Thanksgiving to you and all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.