Buying mp3s on-line

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

One of the things I dislike about buying mp3s on-line is the low quality of the preview clips. Its fine if you know the music but if you are searching for new artists or new tracks by a familiar artist it often difficult to known what you are buying. The low quality is not the worst of it though, most sites will give you a 40 to 60 second clip and its often hard to know what you are buying if you do not know the piece already. In some cases you do not even get to hear the music because someone is doing an introduction or simply babbling away. Finally, there is the issue of price. The big sites (itunes, amazon) charge on average a $1 per track and some specialty sites charge even more.

WEll I am very pleased to say that I just stumbled across a site that addresses all of these concerns. Its called MelodiShop. You can set the sites settings to either play a 60 second clip at the tracks original full quality, or, you can opt for the ability to hear the whole track at a reduced quality. As to price, the tracks costs 10 cents each but when you put money into your account the site will give you bonus $ to spend on top of your contribution.

When you first sign up you are given $30 regardless of the amount you deposit. In my case I opted to deposit $30 which under normal circumstances would earn me a bonus of $10. I was pleasantly surprised to find that after making my deposit I had a full $70 credited to my account. Thats my $30+$10 bonus+the $30 gift for signing up. I was surprised to see that if you deposit $100 they will give you $200 on top,,,,thats the most generous structure I have come across.

The site has quite a decent collection of music to purchase. Before I signed up I purposely searched for relatively obscure artists (early jazz) and was pleased to find that many of the searches resulted in hits, in some cases a goodly number of them.

The sites homepage may be found at http://melodishop.com/?aff=124&saff=2

Happy downloading folks.

2. henryg

henryg Registered Member

The cost of these mp3's couldn't be any cheaper than this.
    No PayPal? Credit Cards only.... That would be my only concern...

3. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

It looks good, another concern though would be how long will they be around? When the RIAA gets wind of this site the you-know-what will hit the fan. It wouldn't be so great to open an account and have them get shut down before you can use up your balance. :'(

4. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I have been using soundike.com for a number of years (3 or 4) and they will have specials periodically where they will match your deposit not as good as this one but still pretty cheap. Before signing up I did a bit of research and they have been around for just over 2 years. I doubt that RIAA could do anything as they fought allofmp3 for years to no avail. What finally got allofmp3 was the revelation that they had some connection to some undesirable organization and they lost their ability to take credit cards. allofmp3 is still around but its very awkward to put cash into your account so many folks, myself included, moved on. The point is given the laws in Russia there is not much RIAA could do.

In addition, I deposited $30 and bought 35 tracks last night. If I had bought these tracks from itunes I would have paid just under $35 for them,,,,,I figure I have my deposit covered should the site disappear tommorrow,,,,,and I still have a credit in my account of $66.50,,,,,seems like a no brainer to jopin this site if you like to buy music on-line.

5. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Nobody should spend money on mp3. Lossless or gtfo.

6. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

It is a bit awkward. Now it's called mp3sparks. I bought quite a bit at allofmp3/mp3sparks and they invited me to join memphismembers. Over there you can add to your account and it shows up at the other site. The last time I paid in, it was basically simulating buying some piece of vaporware software. The payment went through and ~5 min. later it was in my balance at mp3sparks. These guys don't go down easy. ;)

I always thought the music industry would have been better off if they had taken a look at how they sell music there and learn something from it rather than fighting them. Unfortunately the major labels are still living in the 50's.

One thing I do prefer at mp3sparks is that you can pick the format and the bitrate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.