Burning Backup Image To DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Wacky Noodle, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wacky Noodle

Wacky Noodle Registered Member

Acronis says to use a 3rd party SW to burn the backups to DVD's. I figured I'd use Nero 7 (since thats what I already have). I followed the instructions in ATI and saved my whole system in 13 DVD sized Backup Archives files. The problem is that Nero does not recognize the file extension type .tib. What should I do? I do not want to put another disk burning SW on my computer because it is simply redundant. I have contacted Nero. They said that there SW testers also use ATI (good news to the Acronis peeps I'm sure) and that they would call me back. Any advice would be helpful.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

There shouldn't be any problem burnng them with Nero if the filesize fits on the DVD. You want to create a Nero data DVD not a bootable DVD.

What version of TI are you using. Versions since the last builds of TI9 allow creation of archives on DVD - however, I'd still do it the way you are trying to.

PS: If you ever try to restore the archive directly from 13 DVDs, you will be known as Very, Very, Whacky Noodle before you are finished. Anything more than 2 or 3 will wear out the DVD drive's tray mechanism due to frequent swapping of DVDs. TI does not read all of one, then the next DVD, the the next one, .... . An external HD is the preferred device for off-line backup storage.

3. Wacky Noodle

Wacky Noodle Registered Member

Thanks for the prompt response. I definitely wasn't doing the bootable disk thing. I got that one taken care of. The version is Acronis True Image 9. I was using a feature listed in Nero called "Burn Image to Disk" because that sounded like the most logical thing. Plus from the way I understood the Nero instructions, it was the recommended method for what I was doing. I am looking into other methods Nero allows.

Currently I do not have an external HD, never really needed one....yet. Acronis instructions said it is capable of being put on disk. Plus I have loads of blank DVD's that have been collecting dust over the years. The system I am backing up is in fact the machine that is used to back up the other computers on my home network. I do currently have the files I want to burn to disk on another machine but I don't want them left there. Essentially I am backing up the back up.

I will definitely let y'all know how it turns out.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

An Image when talking about Nero and an Image when talking about True Image are two entirely different animals. To burn the True Image .tib files using Nero you have to use the "Make Data" disc feature in Nero as said above. As long as the .tib files are the right size to fit, you can burn them to a dvd disc.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Wacky Noodle,

Are you sure that you have Acronis True Image 9? Acronis True Image 9 has the ability to write the archives to DVD disks directly.

Direct DVD-writing has been implemented for Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and Acronis True Image 9.1 Corporate Products. Earlier versions of Acronis True Image do not write to DVD disks directly, instead they utilize third-party UDF-packet DVD-writing software.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.