burn tib file to load as boot disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tomchook, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomchook

tomchook Registered Member

hello,
    i have a clone of my hard drive as tib file. i wonder if there is a way i can burn it, so it will act as a boot disk, instead of putting the true image rescue boot disk first.
    or maybe it's possible to burn the rescue boot disk with the tib file?

thanks

-tom

2. IsaacB

IsaacB Registered Member

I followed this guide successfully: Acronis Bootable CD/DVDs with Images

Basically you edit the bootable rescue image to add your tib file, and burn a disc with the new ISO.

Good luck.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Tom,

I'm afraid the procedure in the above link will no longer work with TI 9.0 Build 3567 or higher and the latest version of UltraISO. Alternative fully illustrated instructions are detailed in this very lengthy thread titled <How to create bootable rescue DVD(s):>. My Post #269 contains the most up to date version.

However, if you're using the latest build of TI 9.x then you can opt to create an image to blank DVD media that also contains the Acronis bootable Media Components plus the One-Click Restore.

Whilst imaging direct to DVD in Windows mode, select the "Set the options manually" radio button, choose "Media components" and then select the components you want to include with the image on the first DVD (e.g. TI (Full) version and the One-Click Restore). The first disk of the image set will then act as the Acronis bootable rescue disk. Note that there is still a bug in TI's direct to DVD imaging capability that prevents you validating the image as part of the image creation task. Therefore, deselect the default backup option to also validate the image (Tools > Options > Default backup options > Additional settings) and use the Backup Archive Validation Wizard separately after the image has been created.

Caution - if using the One-Click Restore feature, make sure the image you are restoring is of the whole disk not just of an individual partition. If it isn't then any other partitions on the destination disk will be deleted. You have been warned!!

Regards

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  4. tomchook

thanks Menorcaman for the detailed respnose.
    unfortunately i didn't combine my image tib file with the TI boot in the first place, so my tib is pure image of my hard drive.

is there a way to combine it after the image has been created? (because i'v already installed few programs that i don't want to include in my image)

and about your warning, if i have 2 virtual partition of my hard drive (C and D) and i backed up only drive C, will there be any loss of of info on D when I will restore my image?

thanks! -tom

5. Menorcaman

Hello again Tom,

1. Create an Incremental image of your current state using your original image as the baseline.
    2. Validate the new image via the Backup Archive Validation Wizard.
    3. Restore your system from your original baseline image.
    4. Create a new image containing the required media components to DVD(s) as detailed in Post #3 above.
    5. Restore your system from the Incremental image created at step 1.

Only if you use the new One-Click Restore feature as I indicated in the cautionary note.

Regards

6. IsaacB

IsaacB Registered Member

Can you please tell me why it wouldn't work with build 3567? What was changed that perevents this procedure? As far as I understand, you just add the tib file to the bootable image, with any ISO editing program (UltraISO in this case). Sounds pretty straight forward to me. I used TI 9.0.2337 and UltraISO 8.2.0.1669 (the latest).

7. Menorcaman

Hello IsaacB,

Prior to True Image 9.0 and UltraISO Build 7.6.5.1225 you had to use the following steps to extract the boot info out of the rescue CD (from Post #117 in the thread I refer to above):

After TI 9.0 came out, UltraISO was unable to extract the boot info until the introduction of UltraISO Build 7.6.5.1225. The procedure then had to be amended as follows (from Post #171 in the thread referred to above):

Since the introduction of TI 9.x Build 3567 onwards, TI has been capable of creating its own bootable media ISO file. Hence the procedure in that thread was again slightly modified to take this into account as follows (Post #269):

I was probably a bit hasty in saying that the procedure referred to in your previous reply no longer worked as neither you, nor the author, stated which version/build of UltraISO and True Image was being used. I see now that you have been using UltraISO Version 8.2.0.1669 and TI 9.0 Build 2337 so it seems that particular combination does work. Apologies for any confusion I may have caused.

To be honest, after contributing to that particular thread for the best part of 2 years, I haven't bothered upgrading to UltraISO v8.0 because TI 9.0 Home Build 3625 onwards introduced direct to DVD imaging without the need for third-party software. In particular, it also enabled users to combine the Acronis bootable media components with the DVD image, thereby negating the need for the workarounds detailed in the thread.

Regards

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  8. IsaacB

IsaacB Registered Member

Thank you for the detailed reply. I wasn't aware of the particulars of what each version is capable of. I followed said guide, and I guess I was lucky enough to have the right combination of versions. So TI has DVD imaging now... cool. But, better not break what isn't broken, so I think I'll stick with what I do now.

9. tomchook

i'm sorry but i couldn't manage to do so. i just can't find the "advance" tab.
    when i boot my computer using True Image 9.1 workstation boot disk I choose the full version and then:

backup>welcome screen>choose the entire disk contents>choose the partition i want to backup>choose the name for the image file and location>create full new backup archive>
    and then in the backup options i have archive protection, compression level, archive splitting and additional settings (where i can only validate the backup in the additional settings)

the next stage is just to write some notes and then proceed to the image creation.

so how can i put with my image the boot option? o_O

thanks for your help
    tom

10. Menorcaman

Hello Tom,

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that you intended to image direct to DVD via the bootable rescue CD. Please note that you can only include the Acronis bootable media components if you create the image whilst using True Image in Windows mode. I have amended my Post #3 accordingly.

Regards

11. tomchook

Thank you Menorcaman.
    I guess I will use the tib file only then, because I don't want to install the whole TI9.1 and back it up with my image (it takes too much space). It is too bad they don't give this possibility in the boot disk.

Anyway, I was wondering if I can just burn the tib as a data file on a regular DVD, and then when I will restore, I will first load the TI boot disk and when prompted I will change the boot disk to the DVD with the tib?
    Will the program "stay" on the memory of the computer without having it's disk in the drive?

Thanks
    Tom

12. Menorcaman

Indeed it will. That's how it's designed to work.

Regards

13. tomchook

thanks!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.