Burn an clone image onto disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TerryFox, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryFox

TerryFox Registered Member

Hi ... I have 2 different hdd install on my computer , I was just wandering if its possible to make a clone image from one hard drive which just has the OS ( C drive >> xp pro ) onto another hard drive , Then afterwatd burn this image onto a disk , I would believe it be something like a recovery disk that you get from those brand computer companies , Is this possible to do ? Thanks

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, TerryFox

Yes you can have Ti create an Image to another HDD, and then you can burn [it or them] to CD or DVD.

Or you can have Ti create the Image direct to CD-R or CD-RW [using RW is best IMO]

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. TerryFox

Hi ... Hey that great then , I didn't realize you can onto the optical drive too , I will have to take a look at that option , So with doing such will this be like having a recovery disk ? Something similar to it ?

Just took at look at TI 9.0 , What steps do you take to image the whole drive onto the optical drive instead

Just to be sure we are on the same wave link , I am talking about making a clone image of the whole hard drive , Now I know this options is good whenever your hard drive is about to die and then you can replace with the clone image onto new hard drive , but I rather have this clone image onto a disk instead , So this is possible ? Thanks

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  4. TheQuest

Hi, TerryFox

When you start Ti to create an Image it will ask you where to create the Image just browse to you Optical drive you wish to use [click on it] then then type a name for the Image and follow the prompts as they appear screen.

Take Care,

5. TerryFox

Hi ... I think we are talking about 2 different things here , Because when I click on " Clone Disk " The pop up wizard window shows , I click next , which its set for auto , click next , I have to select which clone I want , I select where the OS is ( C drive , hard drive ) , Now it shows the Destination section and I don't see the option to select the optical drive , If you are referring to a backup onto the optical drive ? Thats different from what I am asking

6. TheQuest

Hi, Terry Fox

Yes we are, because in your first posting you asked:-

Which I thought you was talking about an Image.

Also because that is what a recovery disk is, An Image.

A Clone is just that, one HDD to another HDD, You will have two HDD's Identically the same, Extactly Alike.

Take Care,

7. TerryFox

Hi ... Sorry for the misunderstanding , I didn't think we were on the same page , Any ways what you are referring to is using the back up feature , correct ? And make a back up image as a clone image ? Am i correct , Or is it something else ?

Also lets say I have a 4 gb ide hard drive which only has the OS (xp pro ) If I was to use the " Clone Disk " feature , Can I not install this clone image onto a bigger hard drive ? Or does it have to be exactly the same size for clone disk to work ? And If I am able to clone disk to a bigger hard drive ? Can i not burn this same clone disk image onto a dvd disk ? Or am I asking something that does work that way ? Thanks

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You keep using the term "clone image". While in general discussion that may be acceptable, in this forum the two words mean different things.

Image usually means a file created by TI (or other programs) that contains all the data, typically in compressed form, that allows TI to restore the contents of a disk or partition by reading the file and processing its contents.

Clone means to make an "identical" copy of HD1 and put it on another drive HD2. The two disks will have the same structure and files. THis is why you cannot clone to an optical drive, its file system is not the same as a HD's.

Cloning is normally the type of process used when you are replacing a disk. You want to make a copy of the old disk and put it on the new one. The partitions can be resized.

Imaging is normally the process used when you want to have a backup of your drive or partition.

You can obviously make a backup of your drive by creating a clone of it on another drive and putting it away. You can also use imaging when replacing a disk, boot up the stand-alone CD, and restore the image onto the new drive.
    If you choose this route you need an image of the whole physical drive or else you won't have the MBR. If you have a normal Windows system this isn't a showstopper since you can create it using FDISK, XP's FIXMBR command or others. Systems with hidden vendor partitions or dual-boot systems should have their own MBR preserved and used.

Personally, I don't see why I would want to use a clone as a backup. Everytime you make a change you have to make another clone. Easier, IMO, to make an image. You can store them wherever you want, even on optical drives, they are smaller (compressed) and can be treated like any other file. You can leave them on a HD and also put them on an optical drive, network drive, or another networked PC for extra security.

HTH.

9. TerryFox

Hi Seekforever .. Thanks for your description , I appreacited , I use the term clone image meaning to clone disk , my mistake .

When you say make a change ? You mean by making a hardware change, Correct ? Ok I should explain what it is that I am wanting to see if it can be done , I want to create something simliar like those brand name computer companies give with their computers , A product recovery disk type , So if I decide that I want to reformat my computer and have a clean drive again ? All I would do is place the image disk in the optical drive and have it install the OS back to normal but , with a clean slave , So can this be done ?

BTW Sorry for my stupidity but I am just trying to get a real good understanding of this product , Basically I am wanting to make a product recovery disk ...

Thanks everyone for the great support this site offer :thumb:

10. seekforever

Actually, I meant a software change and I was speaking in terms of maintaining a backup. You add a new application and now to have a current backup you have to go through the cloning process to re-write the second HD.

You can do what you want by imaging. Start with your clean drive, partition and format it. Install, update and configure Windows. Install any applications that you want as your base system. Probably best to activate XP so it doesn't choke on the dates.
    Make an image of your whole physical disk so you get the MBR. You can call this your base image. Be sure you do a Verify in TI so you have some assurance it is good. I would make an image on HD and then burn it to the DVD. I would use the DVD burning software's verify after burning to ensure it was good.

Now when you want to revert back to your base system just restore the image. You could make one with just Windows as well (which you can't do if you are cloning a drive since it can only be one state).

Now are you really sure you want to do this? Having a basic windows installation is handy, since it saves some time if you reinstall. But do you really want to go back to day 1 and have to do all the reconfiguring and loading of apps you decided you want since you made your base system? I'm not saying it's a bad idea but would you really find it useful. One of the advantages of imaging is that you can keep your images on HD or DVDs and go back in time to an image if for some reason your OS gets corrupted. This is something you have to decide.

11. TerryFox

You see I am trying to cover all the bases , I have 2 hard drives , One which is partition with 2 drives , The OS drive and the other drive , which this other drive also has a backup of TI which I maintain with updates for whatever softwares or whatever . My second hhd is just for storing
    You see this is what I really like about this product that it can do just such but

I thought about this options just incase there might be any corrupt files , So having this options there is no way of any errors , correct ? Only thing would be to reset all the programs and what not...

Thanks bud for your time

12. TerryFox

I should ask which option does just that from the above here ? Is it from the backup feature , I just want to be totally sure ? Thanks

13. seekforever

In TI, you select Backup. Then select Entire Disk or Partitions NOT the Files and Folders.

In the next screen put a check beside Disk 1. That will cause check marks to be put beside every partition on Disk 1. You have now selected the entire disk to be backed up. This will include the MBR.

(If you just want to back up a single partition then put a check beside the partition name. No MBR will be saved.)

14. TerryFox

Ok bud thanks , I kind of figure that , Though I just wanted to be totally sure , You never know when that day comes when I need to use the product and it doesn't do as such because of my stipudity but , Now I can be rest assure , Thanks again :)

15. seekforever

If your really want to rest assured, you should do a restore and make sure that it works. If you haven't a spare disk or partition to try it on, then go through the stages in the restore wizard right up to the Proceed but don't Proceed. Also Verify your image within TI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.