Bulldozer Has Arrived: AMD FX-8150 Processor Review

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Searching_ _ _, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Bulldozer Has Arrived: AMD FX-8150 Processor Review - XBit Laboratories

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Disappointing release.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_fx8150_cpu_review/12

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Really disappointing if it,s true.

4. Hungry Man

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Guru3D says it's a result of software being behind, not properly optimized for many threads. For example, it destroys intel in software like Handbrake.

Full review: http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-fx-8150-processor-review/

6. Hungry Man

lol really lame damage control honestly

Anyways, at best there'll be a 10-15% speed increase (and that's coming from AMD) with Windows 8. Not bad but it only puts it back up to the 2600k's level IF that's even the case.

Still... I guess we'll have to see.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Wow, i still remember a few years back when they first announced bulldozer, that was like 2008 - 2009, now a few years later we have it here and it failed :eek:

8. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

i did like the performance even that it's lower than the i5

i think AMD soon will drop the prices Down Like they always Do and will be better for the price i'm an AMD Fan Not for the product but for the price ;)

9. Hungry Man

They'd better drop it a lot. Clock for clock it's slower than their last release.

10. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

Almost always better bang for buck than an Intel.

As far as overall performance is concerned, I think everyone is being too harsh. This is new architecture and will be improved upon. Little hardware or software currently available to take advantage of the product which make current review conclusions a little flawed imho.

11. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

they Will

what a disappointment Really and those idiots at amd changed the socket also to AM3+ so now you have also to buy a new board

it's failed from every angel

i think it would have been better if amd stuck with Am3 + Lowerd the prices that will make it compete with intel

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  12. Hungry Man

Honestly... unless you are absolutely going to use literally all 8 cores all the time... you're going to get a better experience with last gen...

or just go with intel

13. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Bulldozer design compromises offer mixed bag for desktop use - ArsTechnica

Thermal sensitivity making Overclocking not worth much. :sigh:
    Seems like it's only advantages are for servers and the HPC market.
    Maybe this is the "cloud chip".

14. cozumel

The FX does appear to perform very well at things such as video transcoding which are not very 'mainstream'

It just takes time for software & component/hardware manufacturers to catch up and unleash the potential to the average user. A few years probably, by which time the 8150 will have been superseded many times.

A few years ago it was claimed that 2 or 4 cores were pointless...

15. Hungry Man

Yes, when a program takes advantage of literally every core it's able to make up for being WORSE in every other area than its predecessor.

At least Win8 will see some improvements for how threads are handled...

16. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

15 ~ 20 % improvement wont save AMD this time.

Its is supposed to be a joke but it is simple the hard facts : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SArxcnpXStE :argh:

17. Hungry Man

I agree.

They should just focus on graphics and low-end netbook CPUs.

18. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You clearly don't remember the old days of Intel and why AMD exploded in popularity in the first place because of it. I'd rather not go back to that.

19. cozumel

I have not used an AMD based pc for personal use in a long, long time as they do not suit my personal requirements.

These reviews are not objective as they do not compare like-for-like. The reviews should have focused on tasks that require their cores to be used properly. IE That fully test the capabilities. Still, it gets the reviewers plenty of hits I guess.

You wouldn't take a Harley for test drive through an inner city built-up conurbation and then complain in a review about it's poor handling as it would not be fair. Well these reviews for the FX have been done using this type of 'Harley' methodology. Flawed.

20. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I remember Intel and AMD from "back then". I used a lot of AMD products because they were cheap compared to Intel. I remember when AMD finally took the lead from Intel. It took Intel awhile, but they finally got thier butt in gear, and man did they take off. They still have some spendy units, but overall, thanks to AMD, thier prices are much better to date than they were historically. Video cards are uber expensive today by comparison.

I have used both, and right now I like Intel. I have some AMD machines and have used some new ones. You can't really tell the difference in most situations IMO, which is where the average user probably sits. I would have no problem using either, as my allegiance lies in the compromise of the best performance for my current budget.

All that being said, I am glad that I did not wait for the bulldozer, instead I got a 2600k. I so hope AMD can pull themselves out of this predicament and actually make a product that is stellar. It will only benefit us end users.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.