Build 3633: Cannot create rescue disks on floppies

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Howard Kaikow, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I get the message "This type of media can contain only one component. Select other media type or use a larger media."

Worked with build 2337.

2. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Re: Buid 3633: Cannot create rescue disks on floppies

Looking at size requirements, on a CD version of the Rescue Media the Recovery Manager folder is 15 MB. Creating the Rescue Media on a ZIP drive there is no folder but the sum total of the files installed becomes 29.4 MB. Both were checked out and do work. Checking your observation about using floppies, you are correct. Perhaps the floppy option should be removed. Given the size requirements why would you ever want to consider using floppy media in this application? I used build 3633.

3. Howard Kaikow

With build 2337, 8 floppies were required.

Floppies are an alternative if the optical media is unreadable.

In any case, TI states that floppies are supported as a rescue media.
    Could be dropped in TI 10, if Acronis wants to do so, but not in TI 9.

4. whocrazy

whocrazy Registered Member

the reason the files are so large is because the whole user interface is a gui containing graphical images which can chew up disk space at lightning speed. The linux based rescue disk set is enormous, alternatively you can use the safe version which is dos based, but the main file that is loaded on bootup (trueimage.run) is about 12mb in size, so if you want to use floppies you still need quite a few.

5. Howard Kaikow

The ONLY point I raised was that build 3633 is NOT allowing creation of a rescue set on floppies.

Since that is a documented option, this is a BUG.

Whether it is practical to use floppies is irrelevant to this question.

If your optical drives are kaput, or the optical media is unreadable, you'l sure wish that you had rescue floppies.

6. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Unfortunately the documentation is playing catchup to the software. Be that as it may, what you say about the optical drive going bad can well be said about the floppy drive. Also more and more systems are not including the floppy drive anymore.

I can't remember the last time I had to use a floppy disc and my 3-year old desktops have the drive. Instead I use flash drives now. ;) ;)

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I must say I agree with Howard on this point.

True Image is the kind of program that needs user's confidence. Discrepancies between the manual and the real thing are what a new user, willing to learn, will notice first. And confidence is shaken.

It's just a matter of not letting developers snob their part in documentation work.

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  8. Howard Kaikow

The documentation is irrelevant.

The software offers the choice of using floppies and it does NOT work.
    No rational product removes such a feature without giving user's notice, and, in this case, such a feature would never be removed, rather the product would let it die from dis-use, perhapsd, omitting the option in a futur VERSION (not a mere build) of the product.

9. Howard Kaikow

Not in this case, no RATIONAL product would ever remove such a feature, before the next major VERSION, if even then.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Howard,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay with the response.

Actually, what you have found out is not a "bug", but a normal behavior of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. The point is that when you create Bootable Rescue Media using Acronis True Image 9.0 Home embedded Bootable Rescue Media Builder the program asks you which components you want to place on the bootable media: Acronis True Image Home full version or\and Acronis True Image Home safe version. However, as it is clearly stated in Chapter 9 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide, "...when using 3.5” diskettes, you will be able to write on a diskette (or a set of the diskettes) only one component at a time (for example, Acronis True Image Home). To write another component, start Bootable Media Builder once again...". In fact, this is also correctly indicated on the error message you received.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

11. Howard Kaikow

Thanx.

I do not recall that restriction with build 2337, which is the last time I created rescue floppies.

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

That's because there wasn't one. Since Build 3567, TI Home and its rescue media builder has become a completely different animal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.