Build 3567 too slow

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Larry M, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry M

Larry M Registered Member

Hi all,

Been usiing TI9.0 build 2337 for a couple of months now and have been very impressed. After much touble downloading (time out problems), I was finally able to get Build 3567 downloaded. I did a backup in 2337 (Image file of a full backup was 11.4 GB and had system restore set in this image) and then made two minor changes (installed Turbotax 2004 and 2005) along with Build 3567 and turned system restore off since I was now comfortable with how Acronis TI was working at least for build 2337 and had several good backups that worked. I then did a new backup using Build 3567. Today I was playing around with testing out the split archive backup features and upon a full resinstall under Build 3567 it took almost 3 hours to do the recovery with the split image archives. This being way longer than I remember I went back and reinstalled yesterday's 11.4 GB backup under 2337 and it only took 35 minutes. I then did a split backup of that under 2337 into three files and the recovery again only took 35min. Well I just did a reinstall of the single file 9.4GB Image under Build 3567 which took 140 min or 4 times as long as under 2337. :'( :thumbd:

Has anyone else noticed this issue which to me seems excessive and at least for me makes using Build 3567 a step backwards overall over Build 2337.

Larry

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

There were a few reports when it first came out, of build 3567 being slower than previous builds. I don't use 3567 so cannot say first hand. If you search through the messages you should find those reports.

Were you restoring from within windows or using the bootable cd? And was your backup image on an external or internal drive?

3. Larry M

I was restoring from the bootable cd (used the one done under 2337 for those restores and the one done under 3567 for those images) and the images were on the same external WD 80GB USB 2.0 HD. I'm doing all this on a new Toshiba A105 computer with 80GB drive with the Intel Core Solo TI1300 processor and 512mb RAM, so while my puter isn't a heavy weight it's no slouch IMHO.

As I indicated the only changes between the two images were the windows system restore being turned off, the addition of the TurboTax 2004 and 2005 programs and the two Acronis TI9.0 builds (2337 and 3567). :eek:

I'll have to go back and look for the other threads, but gosh 4 times slower than the previous build should have had I thought folks up in arms over this new Build :p

Larry

4. Larry M

I just did a search and some of what I found was talking about the time between the two builds in doing a backup. I didn't test the times but didn't see anything in doing a backup using the two builds that was an issue or problem ... it's only in doing an actual recovery where the slow down is apparant. :eek:

Larry

5. Chutsman

Maybe Menorcaman would "drop in" when he wakes up in the morning :D and have some suggestions ... I know he does a lot of "real world" testing on new builds.

6. gcat294

gcat294 Registered Member

I tried a couple of builds when version 9 came out, and they all stank. I periodically check the forum when a new build comes out to see if it's worth my time. So far, they all stink. I'll stick with version 8 until I hear positives from users, or when a competitor comes out with a better product. Whatever you do, don't go with Symantec. As for Acronis, they should re-hire the designers of version 8 to fix the continuous screw ups with each build in version 9. All Acronis is doing now is setting up the competition to come up with a better product and steal their customers.

7. Larry M

Thank you and I guess my option now unless something changes is to go back to that 11.4 GB 2337 image and add in the TurboTax 2004 and 2005 changes and turn off system restore and do a back up of that and not bother with Build 3567 anymore, but I do think the MBR restore option under 3567 is a plus, but maybe not worth the expense of the loss of speed over 2337.

One big issue for me is that the help here for problems from the Acronis Help/Support Staff seems to be limited to what the current build is in doing trouble reports/e-mails and Acronis doesn't seem to want to address prior builds in giving you specific help should you have a question/problem. :mad:

Larry

8. Larry M

Hmmmm interesting comments and before buying Acronis TI 9.0 read the forums here and remember seeing some of the comments of 8.0 users trying out the trial version of 9.0 and having complaints/lissues. However, for me I was stuck with getting 9.0 and having to upgrade to build 2337 to even get some inittial help back in Feb of this year so I think I hear where you might be coming from.

Larry

9. Chutsman

That IS true ... the official support always wants you to get the latest build .... etc, etc ... ;) ;)

Stick with what works for you ... I'm still with build 2323.

10. Bill U

Bill U Registered Member

Well I've been using 3567 for a while and I've had no problems. My boot partition image is ~ 6 Gb. I've restored it several times. It takes about ten minutes (either backup or restore, separate internal drive) which is roughly the same as what I got from previous versions. However I never split the images. I wonder if that affects performance.

11. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I am using B3567 and it is the same or very close to it as the previous build but I use internal disks only. The problem most likely is that the Linux driver used by your external drive has been changed in B3567 for some reason and it doesn't work as well as the old one.

There have been some reports of the latest build being slower but it certainly doesn't apply to everybody.

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Don't think for one minute that Version 8.0 didn't have it's own set of problems when first released!! It needed to reach Build 937 before it became reliable across most of the, then current, hardware.

Personally, given the re-engineering/enhancements carried out in TI 9 Home Build 3567, I feel Acronis has done a pretty good job. Whilst it's not completely bug-free yet, I find it much better in every respect than any previous build (I've progressed through TI 6, 7, 8 and 9).

Regards

13. Menorcaman

Hello Larry,

I've seen a slight increase in restore times but nowhere near as great as you report. Have you tried dropping into Linux kernal command line to add the acpi=off noapic parameters and seeing if it makes a difference? If not, boot from the rescue CD and at the first select screen press F11 to enter the command line. After the word quiet, leave a space and add the acpi=off noapic commands. Click OK and then select the Full version of TI.

Regards

14. Larry M

I didn't time the restore time using the three file split image recovery time under 3567, but it was well over two hours and closer to three. I did a recovery under 2337 both from a 3 image split archive and from a single file archive and they both took 35 minutes. The 140 minutes under 3567 was for a single file image.

Larry

15. Larry M

Thank you and while I have no idea what you're really talking about (my username should be "'puternerd" o_O ) I'll give that a shot.

Since 3567 can evidently restore 2337 images I might try using build 3567 to retore that 11.4 GB image created using 2337 :p. It's just sort of time consuming to have to wait almost 3 hours for another data point in testing out this new build.

Larry

16. Larry M

Well I tried the adding of the command acpi=off noapic with the space after the "quiet" using the F11 function and for the 9.4 GB build 3567 the restore took 150 min and then using the 3567 boot disk I restored the 2337 11.4 GB image and it took 175 min. o_O

I hope that command line was correct since the acpi= part doesn't match the noapic (i.e acpi doesn't equal apic o_O )

Larry

17. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

No they don't match.

18. Menorcaman

Hi Larry,

As seekforever says - they are not meant to match. They are two separate commands that control two different hardware functions.

See my previous reply (including the embedded link) in an earlier thread titled <What does "quiet acpi=off no apic" do?> for further details.

Regards

19. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Larry M,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt file) for both Bootable Rescue CD created using build 2337 and Bootable Rescue CD created using build 3567 as it is described in Acronis Help Post? Please rename the files collected to sysinfo_2337.txt and sysinfo_3567.txt accordingly.

Please note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt file is not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file name using capital letters (SYSINFO.TXT) or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive.

Please also create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please keep your external USB 2.0 hard drive connected while creating Acronis Report and Linux system information.

If possible, please also try restoring the same image located on any other type of the supported media (e.g. internal or network drive, CD, DVD, etc.) and inform us about the result.

Please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the most suitable solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

20. Larry M

Well I followed the directions in II b) HERE and when I got the /# prompt I inserted a blank formatted floppy into my FD drive and did the following ...

1. entered the cmd "cd tmp" and got "/tmp #" prompt
    2. entered the cmd "mkdir mntdir" and got "/tmp #" prompt
    3. entered the cmd "mount/devfs/floppy/0 mntdir and got the following ...

a. using the 2337 rescue disk got "mount/devfs/floppy/0 mntdir: unknown error 2"
    b. using the 3567 rescue disk got "mount/devfs/floppy/0 mntdir:no such file or directory"

both followed on the next line by the "/tmp #" prompt. Using the 2337 I completed the cmd sequence and got the following

4. entered the cmd "sysinfo>mntdir/sysinfo.txt" and got several scrolling pages and the "/tmp #" prompt
    5. entered the cmd "unmount mntdir" and got "unmount mntdir: unknown error 2" followed on the next line by the "/tmp #" prompt

I then booted into windows and there was nothing written on the Floppy ...

o_O

Larry

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  21. Menorcaman

Hi Larry,

You need to leave a space between "mount" and "/devfs" e.g. mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir

You made a typo I'm afraid - "unmount" should have been "umount".

Regards

22. Larry M

Ops :blink: this is what happens when an aging 'puter nerd tries to do some of this. Anywho in both builds 2337 and 3567 after I give the cmd "mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir" (with a space after 'mount' and before 'mntdir') I get the following "Mounting /devfs/floppy/0 on tmp/mntdir failed" and then the next line is ...

Build 2337 ":Unknown error 2"

Build 3567 ":no such file or directory"

o_O

Larry

23. Menorcaman

Some things to check:

- Is the floppy write protected?
    - Is the floppy formatted and empty?
    - When typing the command mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir did you type a "O" (oh) instead of a "0" (zero) by mistake?

Other than the above, I'm fresh out of ideas.

Regards

24. Larry M

Menorcaman,

Thanks for the help and the floppy is not write protected and is formatted. I also typed "/0" using "zero" and not "Oh".

Larry

25. dld

dld Registered Member

Larry... I've gone through the experience of trying to export sysinfo.txt without any success. What I did was to use a digital camera to take screenshots of my monitor, using PageUp or PageDown to navigate through the sysinfo. I then sent the screenshots to Acronis Support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.