Build 3567: Acronis TI Backup Image Explorer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Howard Kaikow, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

After installing 3567, I mounted a volume from a backup that had been created with build 2337.

I then created a full backup using build 3567.
    When I asked to mount volumes, I got a message from Windows saying that a bew device had been found. I had to reboot.

Upon rebooting, I saw that Device manager now listsTWO Acronis TI Backup Image Explorers.

I expect that the first was left over because I had installed build 3567 over 2337, rather than doing a clean instal.

Do I need to do a clean install?
    Or must we have two such critters?

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I have the same situation. One is labeled “…True Image…” and the other “…TrueImage…”.
    They show different driver dates under the “Driver” tab, but under “Driver Details” both seem to point to the same driver files and look identical.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Well spotted guys :). I too installed over the top of build 2337 and see the same thing.

Acronis Support - which one can we remove, and how, please?

Although the two drivers have different dates (13/02/2002 v 15/11/2005) they both have the same file name and version numbers (3.3 build 436). I assume, therefore, that we can't just delete the duplicate entry via the Device Manager and will need to hack the Registry?

Regards

4. Howard Kaikow

In my case, there are no dates, "Not available" for both.

Seems like the best thing is to uninstall, make the driver ain't there, then do a clean install.

Such a problem is inexcusable.

5. TheWeaz

I have "Not Available" for the Versions, but 11/15/05 and 03/13/02 for the Dates.

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I have disabled the 2002 one and can explore a mounted image with no difficulty.

Xpilot.

7. Howard Kaikow

I have "Not Available" for the dates and the versions.
    Of course, I'm using WIn 2000.

I intend to uninstall,then clean install.
    Who knows what other nonesense lurks when installing 3567 over2337?
    Perhas, The Shadow knows?

8. mustang

mustang Developer

Very interesting guys. Somehow I was lucky enough not to get this situation using the Workstation version of TI9, so I can't tell you exactly where to look. I have version Not Available and date 11/15/2005.

Here's some areas to check for duplicate entries in the registry:

1. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\timounter

Do you see more than one display name?

2. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\timounter\Enum

You should see Root\ACRONISDEVICES\0000

Do you see a second entry like Root\ACRONISDEVICES\0001?

3. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\ACRONISDEVICES\0000

Do you see another set of entries like 0001?

Maybe someone could post a screenshot of the registry where something seems to be duplicated. Then I could advise on what to delete. This might be a good time to backup the registry (or your whole system) before you delete anything. You might have to change the permissions to delete the extra values.

mustang

9. TheWeaz

Well, for grins I just uninstalled the older one from Device Manager.
    I can still mount and explore images fine and the second occurrence hasn’t returned. Could be stuff left over somewhere though.
    Also, I did not have to reboot after the uninstall.

10. TheWeaz

I'm searching the registry now, but I've already found one reference to the old device name ...

11. Howard Kaikow

I did the following:

1. Uninstalled TI 9.3567
    2. REbooted
    3. uninstalled extraneous Acronis TI Backup Image Explorer
    4. REbooted
    5. Re-installed TI 9.3567
    6. Rebooted.

Problem decribed in this thread was eliminated.

A clean install is the ONLY right way to solve this, as who knows what else got messed up by a dirty install.

12. selkov

selkov Registered Member

Work around....
    Delete both drivers & the run the install program again. Choose Repair!

13. TheWeaz

Did you search the registry for "Acronis TrueImage Backup Archive Explorer"? (No space between True & Image).
    I've found 2 lingering entries.

14. selkov

selkov Registered Member

yes..no entry

15. Howard Kaikow

[GRUMPY warning]

Set Grumpy.Mood = vbHigherLevel

I just woke up a few minutes ago, so I'm grumpier trhan usual(perhaps, you cannot tell?).

Given that we have seen one screw up when doing a non-clean install, it makes absolutely no sense to try to fix things by hacking the registry,etc.

It only makes sense to uninstall, remove the device driver and do a clean install.

Set Grumpy.Mood = vbNormal

[Grumpy warning bye bye]

16. TheWeaz

I’d rather export & delete a few registry items then have to rebuild all my scheduled tasks. Especially since Acronis did away with the right click/hover feature to display the task properties.

17. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that this issue is known. It is caused by the fact that the older Acronis TrueImage Backup Archive explorer was renamed to Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer. Please feel free to remove the item where True and Image are written in one word by right-clicking on it and choosing Uninstall. We are sorry for your inconveniences. Such problem will not appear when you will install the future builds of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home over the build 3567.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

18. Howard Kaikow

Clean install does not lose my tasks.

19. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

I *did* a clean install after uninstalling v.8 and cleaned the registry after the unistall, but just now reading this thread, I checked in Device Manager (WinXP Pro) and there were two items listed...I deleted the one with the 'TrueImage' all one word. So the 'clean' install after an un-install doesn't necessary rid one of the extra driver.

EDIT: And I was uninstalling v.8.0.0.937 above, and then installing the new version 9.0.0.3567 - so the uninstall of v.8 didn't remover the old driver with the TrueImage name joined. After the uninstall of v.8 preformed by Ashampoo Unistaller, I used Registry Workshop and deletely all entries in the registry relating to Acronis before installing the latest v.9, so the driver issue obviously was 'left' behind. My driver file details are = 'not available' and the reg. entry as Mustang was indicating now points to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\timounter\Enum "Root\ACRONISDEVICES\0001" and shows the same entry in device manager under "details" reference to the driver as 'Root'...I don't know if I had a double entry "0000", and "0001" before or not, but I presume I did until I uninstalled the extra driver as I hadn't looked before in the registry. I'll mount an image and see if everything is 'explorable'.

Explore image worked fine, only thing was I heard the little 'clunk' sound as the virual drive mounted, but their was no little icon in my tray...but I really don't remember if there was one before with Acronis as I very rarely, if ever, used that feature. I alway get the little icon with my USB hard drive being mounted...but oh well. :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  20. TheWeaz

LOL ... doesn't sound like a very clean un-install o_O

21. Howard Kaikow

An uninstall of many/most products does not remove user settings.
    That's expected and normal behavior.
    Depending on the program, you could remove those manually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.