Build 205

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I was away on vacation when Build 205 came out and just found out about it today (thanks, Peter :) ). My question: unless you were having one of the problems with 202 that 205 fixed, does 205 really offer anything worthwhile upgrading for? You know, that old fashioned saying: If it ain't broke ...

Thanks everyone,
    Acadia

2. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I'm running 202 without problem and have no intention of upgrading to 205, I can see no earthly reason to.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not sure there was a reason, on the other hand it was a no brainer upgrade.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The UPGRADE to build 205 keeps the Freeze function, but I think that the full version of build 205 has no freeze function anymore, at least member "Chris" had no freeze function anymore in his build 205.

You don't need build 205 to get a better FDISR. Since I bought it, FDISR had only improvements to increase the sale, not to expand or improve its features. FDISR is almost abadonware. ;)

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks guys, actually, FD has improved since I bought it in at least two ways: it now does Archiving, allowing for as many backups as my hard drive will hold (my first couple FD's only allowed for bootable Snapshots), AND, now there is less likelihood of having problems with the MBR. But I don't see anything worthwhile, for me anyway, in 205. Thanks for all replies.

Acadia

6. Peter2150

Does mean you are going to take it off your system??

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Erik, if you can find a SINGLE software program that replaces FirstDefense PLEASE name it, I will be first in line to purchase it! (Like I said, a single program, not an entire backup strategy to replace FD).

Acadia

8. ErikAlbert

No, I can't do that yet, but the Software World doesn't stop developping new softwares and one day they will come up with a new software, that beats FDISR.
    As I said so many times, you cannot stop the development of a software, unless you want to end it. FDISR's development is as good as frozen and sooner or later FDISR will be old-fashioned and lose its users.
    FDISR is very lucky to be the only reliable multiple snapshot software on the market, but that won't last forever.
    There are alot more ISR-software than 3 years back, unfortunately no new multiple snapshot ISR-softwares.

As soon I find a replacement, FDISR will be history. I did the same with Acronis, which never failed on me either.

9. Peter2150

You might find exploring Leapfrogs website very interesting.

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That is going to be a stretch AFAIK. Unless they pattern similar useful features of FULL as in complete data copying like FD-ISR performs in snapshots as well as fashioning in addition to that reliable archives that can be returned again to a 100% full working snapshot.

I yet to see anything else come close to this method yet, have you?

FD-ISR is going to be onboard here indefintely. I don't see anything else remotely similar except true imaging programs, and that speaks a pretty good case in favor of FD-ISR/Leapfrog's innovations skills.

11. Peter2150

The other point is even when someone does, it's going to have to pass the reliability bar that FDISR sets.

Sure we've all occasionally had issues, but I still find FDISR totally reliable.

Any replacement will have to pass my Vista to XP copy/update challenge.

Pete

12. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

This is from the moderator of the Horizon forums:

"Existing clients of previous versions of FirstDefense-ISR can upgrade to version 3.21.205. In most cases your existing license codes should work with the new build. If your existing license does not work with the new build you will need to purchase a new license from us.

However keep in mind that we have removed the FREEZE feature from the new build. If this feature is important to you - DO NOT UNINSTALL your current version of FirstDefense-ISR."

Silver

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Talking about whether to upgrade to .205 or not, there are probably improvements "under the hood" that we don't know about so even if you didn't experience the problems associated with .202 or earlier, it may be worth upgrading to. I haven't experienced ANY (touch wood!) of the problems people have reported on, and yet I upgraded to .205. You could say I'm eliminating the possibility of getting the errors .205 fixes. ;)

By the way, I don't use the Freeze feature, and I still have that option as product is from Raxco.

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If FD-ISR does it's job for you, why would you dump it just because it has no future as far as updates and limited support? Most of the users in here, myself excluded, know as much as any support from the company does, and we don't need updates.:)

15. ErikAlbert

You can't live without updatings forever. This might work for several years, but not 5 years and longer.
    Example : if you have an old version of FDISR and you buy a new computer with winVISTA, you can't use that old version of FDISR anymore and there are probably better examples to illustrate that updatings are required. Updatings also remove detected bugs and add new features.

16. ErikAlbert

That is NOT true. I have version 3.21.205 and I still have the freeze function, but I don't have a full installation file of the latest build.
    I have the previous version of FDISR + an Update to the latest version and that's probably the reason why I still have the freeze function.

HDS made a big mistake to remove the freeze function.

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Just because i personally haven't implimented the FREEZE feature of FD-ISR yet doesn't mean it will always sit in the menu there idle. I read all about Erik's usefullness of it and there is quite the security to be realized from that feature as compared to scanner-ville :D all the time. Same goes for testing myriads of softwares, one reboot and P00F! Gone :eek:

I'm of the old school, if something works well beyond it's years and it stands the test of time, like for one example take Kerio 2.15 firewall, they don't get anymore abandoned then that and yet myself along with many other users who been all around the block in trying the others, always returned back to it again. For pity sakes! I used this firewall when all we had was Windows 98 and now it's equally perfect for XP Pro?

So don't sell yourself short on FD-ISR It's very far yet from becoming old news, old hat maybe, but not old news. I would keep my attention closely followed on Leapfrog, they're not out of business by any stretch and neither is their product even though HorizSys is their new distributor but that means nothing to me. I'm keeping the early version in place because i will never have a vista CD install disc nor even want it :D
    I still use an old version of SSM, the latest releases carry too many interface changes and i'm not about to re-learn THAT all over again and is reason for my migration, in part, over to EQSecure.

FD-ISR is a very vital & integral componant to a reliable recovery strategy, now, and for perhaps an indefinite time to come IMO. LoL

18. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

The version 3.21.205 that doesn't contain the freeze option is the one you get from HDS. If you get the 205 version from Raxco you will still have the freeze option.

19. ErikAlbert

I don't trust Horizon DataSys at all, I don't even like this company and certainly not after they crippled FDISR.
    Now they have a full list of crippled products on their website.

20. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I agree with you in principle, however there is a reasonable amount of life left in this program yet, I can't think of anything in particular thay could add to it that I would need, currently it supports Vista, my new PC early next year will be XP pro again, I will not change to Vista prolly for 1-2 years, and then there should be 4 or 5 years with that at least. Likely I will find something else in the meantime to replace fd before I need to.

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Uh, i have to agree. I also still harbor some trust issues with HDS and they certainly have made it worse in respect to what they've done to FD-ISR by pulling a feature, but then they have paid for the rights to do that :doubt: in that manner and maybe more in other versions to come? who knows.

I was at one time nearly entertaining the thought of maybe taking on RollbackRX 8.1, but this maneuver is raised some concerns ATM.

Does anyone else detect a somewhat uneasy feeling of silence that Todd (Leapfrog rep) isn't addressing topics regarding FD-ISR like he used to?

I sure do.

22. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Before you criticise HDS for removing the Freeze feature, why don't you ask Leapfrog why they agreed to it? It was done with them so, if anything, you should be tackling Leapfrog over this issue.

To quote from their Knowledge Base article:
    The emphasis is mine.

23. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I suspect things are changing at Leapfrog. Todd has indictated they are in a hiring phase, and more announcements due soon. Could it be that they're are gonna supply and sell the product with support included hence the Technical Support Poll? The support pages they had have since been removed in readiness for new pages by the looks of things.

24. ErikAlbert

FDISR is at v3.21 and was already good when it was v1.x

HDS's RollbackRx is at v8.1 already and it still seems to have problems.

HDS's DriveVaccine : I've seen one user at Wilders, who installed it, bought it too quickly and wanted to get rid of it as soon as possible and get his money back.

HDS's EXE-Lockdown disappeared apparently and was more a parody on Faronics Anti-Executable. They give up easily on their softwares.

HDS's FolderMover disappeared also and is now available at Eaz-Fix : RBRx-users don't need FolderMover or what ?

All this + the rest, I'm hearing about HDS makes me think that programmers team of HDS is less good than the programmers team of Leapfrog.
    I had the same impression regarding Acronis, that's why I ditched TI.

25. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I do not thnk that FD-ISR is dying. Probably they HDS and Leapfrog are up to something. Maybe a new application?

For example take a look at this Standby Rescue Multi. Is a japanese app of leapfrog and seems very interesting. Maybe they will make an international version or something similar. Or even add some new features on FD-ISR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.