Bugoff, WWDC, Harden-it, Secure-it ???

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by a320ca, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a320ca

a320ca Registered Member

Looking for advice from those in the know on Hardeners for XP sp2 config.

Which ones do you recommend with my setup? Can you use more than one? I see a lot of signatures here showing more than one hardener. Any downsides to these performance wise? I have searched the forums and now looking for consolidated replys from users of. Thanks!

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

the one that i used and can recomend for xp2 are samurai hips and malware defender;) the second one also support vista;)

3. I'm using Samurai right now and like it; it's simple effective, and offers system hardening stuff as well as HIPS. How does it compare to Malware Defender in the HIPS department though?

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

malware defender is more configurable and can make tons of rules and make same or even more secure:) alot of protection included in the package(registry,files,application and network protection)you can harden your system32 for blocking deleting,changing,altering,only allow read acces in real time,also start up registry defense,program files protection in ral time and ofcourse the fabulas firewall which will never bother you in silent mode;) allow what you desire to conect in or out and then applied silent mode the rest is block in real time;) do what ever you want this one,buch of stuff to play with,you can even clean up your rgistry with this app:)

5. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

6. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

What do the vista users use, I have looked and it dosent seem there are any :)

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

My advice would be to make manual tweaks gradually (one at a time) and write down everything in case you need to reverse something. It's a great way to learn about your services.

If your going to use hardeners, use one at a time and take your time with it. Write down everything you do so if something breaks or stops working it will help you figure out the problem.

A few links for manual XP service tweaks and other good info.

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks1.htm
    http://www.blackviper.com/
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

8. Probably in part because Vista has much better default security settings than previous versions of Windows.

9. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

+1 :thumb:
    Vista by default is already far more hardened than XP.

10. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

11. arran

arran Registered Member

I use all the hardening tools in my Sig.

I think from memory Harden-it and Secure-it are more for preventing things like DOS attacks?

So if you have a Router you wouldn't really need Harden-it and Secure-it.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.