BUG scheduling a backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fatray, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatray

fatray Registered Member

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I would guess that for some reason Acronis is expecting the date in UK style format, but I would have thought it takes its date/time readings via the system location settings.

A mystery indeed, can't help as I'm in a UK format country.

Alcohol at 52% proof - that's pretty explosive or even corrosive for the PC :eek:
    Colin

3. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Hi fatray,

I concur with bodgy. It seems clear that you are running with your OS in US locale format, and this fault suggests ATI is expecting a UK format at its user interface. Worth a support request, your screen shot with the system date showing illustrates the problem nicely.

F.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi foghorne,

Well, you know me - I just had to check this out :D.

Changed my regional settings to "English (United States)" and found that the date format in TI's Schedule Task Wizard changed accordingly. I therefore conclude that TI's user interface uses the local Regional settings format. In which case, it remains a puzzle as to why the warning message popped up when fatray attempted to set up a 4:00 AM November 1st 2006 task at 11:42 PM on October 31st 2006 o_O.

Perhaps, internally, the Task Scheduler is using GMT as when imaging from the rescue CD (see this previous thread titled <Bug in True Image Rescue Mode?> for details)? If this were the case then 4:00 AM November 1st (USA time) would indeed be in the past compared to GMT plus local timezone shift. However, I would be shocked and amazed if that were true!!

Regards

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I was thinking more along the lines, that it thought the task was being scheduled for 11 January 2006, - definitely in the past, unless space time continuum has collided with Mars :). Poor old Albert will be spinning on whichever of the 23 brains he is currently residing on.

Normal service now resumed Messrs Moderator Sirs.

Colin

6. foghorne

Hi Menorcaman

my understanding was that the task did not kick in at 11:42, this was the time that fatray was configuring the scheduler.

F.

7. Menorcaman

Ah!! I see the light. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll go back and edit my post accordingly, although why the warning message should pop up is still a mystery :p.

Regards

8. fatray

fatray Registered Member

Backup was completed successfully, but the back up did not start at the 4 AM designated time. The backup started at 5 AM. o_O

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

This sounds like it is getting confused with GMT/UMT versus your locale time.

Do you have BST/Daylight Saving ticked in your geographic time location setting?

Colin

10. foghorne

UMT =?

F.

11. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

To satisfy that country across the pond and others, GMT is officially now known as Universal Metric Time outside the UK and in scientific and programming circles.

Actually I meant just UT which is Universal Time . Ignore the above - that one is the 100 min in an hour idea.

Colin

12. foghorne

Thanks bodgy. Never heard of it although it seems to now be part of ISO 8601. I would disagree that it is particularly prominent or well known in programming circles. I can't recall seeing any C APIs for UMT, nor support in .Net or SQL Server.

F.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  13. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Yes sorry, in embedded programing and electronics (my field) UT is often used.

Now the interesting thing (slightly off topic) I found out is that in Indiana the State does not officially have Daylight Saving, but as parts of the State come under Pacific Time - those counties do have DST and those on Eastern Time don't - How do MS get around that one I wonder?

Colin

14. foghorne

I do some distributed system timezone programming and use UTC in conventional units. Note that I think UMT is a bit of a red herring in that it is not so much a time system as just one of a number of representations of UTC

There are about 75 logical timezones represented in the registry. The information includes details about which week in which month DST starts, and stops. Some of these timezones have no settings for these fields. There are APIs and structures for accessing these too.

F.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  15. fatray

fatray Registered Member

My time is set and adjusted for DST. GMT -5

16. como

como Registered Member

Surely 31/10/2006 as shown in the screenshot is UK style format, or am I missing something. The date that fatray entered 11-1-2006 is US style.

17. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Er, looks like 10/31/2006 to me ;)

Colin

18. fatray

fatray Registered Member

Why do we talk about UK, and this and that style?

Here in the USA we do it like this. 10/31/2006 is October 31, 2006. The date I entered for the backup was for November 1, 2006 @ 4:00 AM EST, the next day or just a few hours away.

Where did I post this message at? What country is the Wilder's Security Forums located? Why all the talk about the style? If my system date is set the way I have it which is the default settings, then the program should be the same. Righto_O
    I keep reading all the replies (I can't believe so many, but that's great, love the support) and just wonder WTF? And slightly giggle for some reason.

19. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

That is the gist of what I and others have been saying.

You pointed out that you got an error message saying that you were trying to schedule something for a date in the past.

So you have your system set up for US format - the only way for that date to be considered a date in the past is to look at it from the British format which in this case would translate to 11 January 2006 not as you would expect having a US locale as 1 November 2006. If you prefer we could talk about the Chinese or Japanese format which has the year at the beginning, but in this instance the UK versus US format would be one explanation as to why TI produced the error message.

That is why there is
    . You may have found a rare bug in either TI or MS OS locale system.

It doesn't matter where the Wilder forum is located, as I see all time relative to Australian time - via personal settings in this forums profile.

So you posted according to my screen Today (Friday) 1:29pm which is Friday, 3, November 2006.

Your 'bug' for a commercial operation could be very important - that is another reason why locale and style have been discussed here.

OK

Colin

20. foghorne

Can't believe I am replying to this.

- Yes your format is always the same for you within your timezone.
    - No ATI is not designed to only work within one timezone. It should adapt to wherever it is installed.
    - Your system apparently is misbehaving. Some kind contributors have tried to hypothesise why that may be so. Part of this has involved the possibility that timezones may be being incorrectly handled.

I keep reading all your reply and just wonder WTF?

F.

21. Menorcaman

Hi fatray,

Can we assume you read my reply at Post #4 above and followed the embeded link to an earlier thread? This confirmed that, when in the Linux based rescue environment, TI uses the GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) time zone. As I said, maybe (although I think it highly unlikely) TI's Windows mode Task Scheduler is doing the same :doubt:.

By the way, the last time I looked the Greenwich Royal Observatory was located in the UK ;) :D.

Regards

22. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I can confirm that fact - having been born not far from Greenwich and living 2miles up the road from Greenwich park (where the observatory is located), before moving to Australia.

Colin

23. como

como Registered Member

Another senior moment, :oops:

Unless the screenshot has changed o_O

24. Menorcaman

No chance!! Definitely a senior moment I'm afraid :D :D

Regards

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  25. fatray

fatray Registered Member

Copy that, Roger Roger. It's just some of the stuff you are talking about is Over My Head!o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.