Bug in v 2.5 and 2.7

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by JohnB, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnB

JohnB Registered Member

Hi all,

Nod32 is superb.... however....

Working as a PC repairer (and NOD32 reseller) we come across this 'glitch' practically on every XP machine where Nod is first installed. (And we install NOD on about 30-50 PC's per month.)

When an XP PC shuts down a dialog pops up over the "Windows is shutting down..." screen that says something like....

"Drive A: not ready" and 3 options Retry, Continue or Cancel.

Now, here's the workaround:
    You go into AMON->settings and turn off Shutdown scanning. This fixes it once and for all.

I'm new to this forum and haven't seen this reported anywhere. Are you guys aware of this problem? Is Eset aware of it? I'm a huge fan of NOD and would like to see this bug cleaned up.

Cheers,

JohnB

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi JohnB, welcome to Wilders :)

If you actually have a floppy drive installed and working on the PC, do you still have this issue?

Cheers :)

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It could happen if no floppy drive is installed, but enabled in BIOS.

4. CyberMew

CyberMew Registered Member

I have a floppy drive installed and enabled and i sometimes encounter those errors..

Does it matters if we really on/off the "scan on shutdown" option?

5. JohnB

JohnB Registered Member

Strangely, it seems to happen on any configuration you like.... hard to spot some kind of common thread.

It happens on PC's with NO floppy (and of course with floppy disabled in BIOS/CMOS)
    It happens with PC's with floppy drives ... usually when no disk is in the drive.
    Honestly, I haven't tried leaving a diskette in the drive to see what happens then.

But it does happen very frequently... on many different PCs running XP.

My co-worker has a theory that it only happens after they've had an Automatic Update installed either through Autopatcher or MS Update but I can't confirm that yet...

Thanks for the reply,

Ross

6. JohnB

JohnB Registered Member

Yes, it definitely fixes it. You won't see the error again.

Happy days! :)

Ross

7. JohnB

JohnB Registered Member

When we first saw the error that's exactly what we thought too... but no unfortunately. BIOS was already disabled.

You have to turn off shutdown scanning.

JohnB

8. JohnB

JohnB Registered Member

It seems only one other poster here has experienced the problem with the floppy drive errors when Nod does a shutdown scan (the default action).
    At least, that's corroborative evidence that there is an issue here.

It happens so frequently here on the PCs where Nod is installed its surprising it hasn't been fully documented. I suspect that maybe only a handful of people have made the connection between the floppy drive not ready dialog and having Nod32 installed...

Is anyone else here aware that there is a problem?
    Is Eset aware there is a problem?

I guess contacting Nod32 direct is the only real answer here.
    If they respond I'll pass it on.

Thanks,

JohnB

9. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

Strange, i have never encountered this issue. Floppy enabled in the bios and usually no disk in the drive. Scan on shutdown enabled.

Windows xp shuts down normally no messages.

10. JohnB

JohnB Registered Member

Perhaps it is an issue with specific motherboards, bioses or etc..
    Mostly we build PCs with Asus or Gigabyte m/boards.

I'll try to gather info about every machine that exhibits the behaviour and see if a pattern emerges.

Thanks for your feedback,

JohnB

11. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

12. Alwill

Alwill Registered Member

This has been my experience as well with all Detection options selected in Amon Setup

13. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I am running NOD on 2 PC and one shows this behaviour frequently, the other has never done this. I never thought it had anything to do with NOD.
    Usually I keep pressing continue or retry and eventually the pc shuts down.

May I pose the earlier question
    again but meaning is this scan necessary? Do I reduce my security by turning shut down scanning in AMON off?

14. JohnB

JohnB Registered Member

Brian,

Thanks for pointing out those threads.

Still, the difference between those threads and this one is that in those cases the bios was misconfigured.

The error I'm reporting occurs regardless of the Bios settings. It doesn't seem to matter if a floppy drive is installed or not... The error stops occurring when the AMON->shutdown scan is turned off.

And its not just a few PC installations I'm talking about. We install NOD32 on so many PCs... and bingo, if we don't remember to switch off that shutdown scan.... we have a little extra support work to do.

The thing is, I'm not trying to criticize Nod here. I believe in the product and continue to promote and sell it every day. I just want it to be perfect. :)

JohnB

15. JohnB

JohnB Registered Member

Beethoven,

Its a personal choice.

For me, I'm willing to risk a little excitement by disabling it. Besides, it saves me a good deal of customer support.

Ideally, Eset should fix the problem. :)

16. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

Motherboard i use is ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium. No issues...

17. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I am really pleased with my trial version installed yesterday. The shutdown
    error
    has not yet manifested itself on my computer. In fact both start up
    and shutdown are now faster. Shutdown in Amon setup is ticked.
    I can hear NOD accessing the floppy - but so what.
    Another bonus. All these are compatible:
    AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 in real time; Spybot S&D without 'tea-timer' but
    with resident sdhelper (BHO); SpywareBlaster; Windows Defender in real time;
    and the following on demand scanners: Bitdefender free 8; a2, and AdAware free.

It was tedious uninstalling Norton AV - despite running the Symantec
    uninstall tool. Regseeker was working overtime.. he..he..he.
    Also tried eicar test - the one where the file is zipped in a zip. Result -
    instant gratification ! Will definitely purchase. Number of processes running
    reduced by, if I remember correctly, 6.

Motherboard = ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe.
    Will continue monitoring but am reasonably confident that NOD is the one
    for my purposes. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  18. huangzhengliang

huangzhengliang Registered Member

I use a Gigabyte mobo, if you like a cheap one; GA-8I915P Duo.
    Installed trial version 2.7 yesterday and no errors yet except the control panel froze once and auto-exited once during configuration but nothing more than that yet.
    I also see the green light on my ($15) Panasonic floppy drive come on when I shutdown but no error. *Diskette is ticked in AMON setup.

19. daveiw

daveiw Registered Member

Weird, we have 3 pcs each with Nod on, never seen this problem. Shutdown scan is on and I do have a floppy disk drive on each too.....

20. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Reports of this issue appear from time-to-time, usually on computers which do not have floppy diskette drives installed in them, such as a laptop. If the floppy diskette drive option cannot be disabled in the BIOS, disabling the option in AMON to scan boot sectors on shutdown does solve the problem.

One thing to keep in mind is there are any number of ways a manufacturer can interface a floppy diskette drive controller to a BIOS, and not all of them may be 100% compatible and compliant with the IBM PC BIOS specification when doing so, so it is possible there are going to be situations where anti-virus software responds incorrectly to the lack of a floppy diskette in the floppy diskette drive at shutdown.

This is not exactly a NOD32-specific problem: Most other anti-virus programs have a similiar setting in them to disable floppy diskette scanning at shutdown as well.

Floppy diskette boot sector viruses are essentially extinct--I think I have had just two or three reports of them in the preceding twelve months, so disabling this option in AMON is not likely to increase a computer's vulnerability level significantly.

Regards

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.